This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NO. 23 (STANLEY PARK LODGE) WITH ARCHWAY NO. 24 (THE CLOCK HOUSE)NO. 25 (STABLE COTTAGE), THE STIRRUPS AND NOS 9 AND 10

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NO. 23 (STANLEY PARK LODGE) WITH ARCHWAY NO. 24 (THE CLOCK HOUSE)NO. 25 (STABLE COTTAGE), THE STIRRUPS AND NOS 9 AND 10

List entry Number: 1305613

Location

NO. 23 (STANLEY PARK LODGE) WITH ARCHWAY NO. 24 (THE CLOCK HOUSE)NO. 25 (STABLE COTTAGE), THE STIRRUPS AND NOS 9 AND 10

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

District Type: District Authority

Parish: King's Stanley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131925

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 8203-8303 KING'S STANLEY SELSLEY WEST

14/51 No 23 (Stanley Park Lodge) with archway, No 24 (The Clock House), No 25 (Stable Cottage), The Stirrups and Nos 9 and 10

GV II

Dovecote and house with attached lodge; former stables, now house, and coach-house with 2 flats over. Dovecote and house dated 1692 for John Jeffreys; lodge by Joseph Franklin, 1852, and coach-house, 1872, for S.S. Marling. Coursed rubble and ashlar limestone; ashlar chimneys; stone slate roof. Dovecote tower and attached single-storey house with attic running to north east (No 25 and No 24); two-storey lodge attached at south east corner (No 23) with linking archway to south. Single-storey with attic range running north west from dovecote tower (The Stirrups). Coach-house with stair tower running south west from north west end of The Stirrups. Coach house and The Stirrups on 2 adjacent sides of courtyard. Parapet gables on 3 sides of dovecote, each with oval window dated 1692; roof hipped on south west side linking with The Stirrups; small cross-gabled timber cupola to dovecote with ball finial and iron weathervane. House range running north west has parapet gable to left with 2-light mullioned casement with hood to attic; oval over dated 1692. Various lean-to additions to ground floor, that to left with mullioned windows and doorway with projecting stone hood on brackets. Cluster of 5 ridge-mounted chimney shafts. South east side of range has parapet gable to left dated 1692 but apparently much altered in C19. To right 2 parapet-gabled attic dormers with 3-light casements having Tudor-arched heads, all C19. North east end of range has gable with 2-light upper floor casement dated 1692 but also appears largely C19. Octagonal clock face in gable, with gabled timber hood. Angled corner bay window to lodge set at 45 degrees with coped top; C19 parapet gable to left. Attached archway with moulded Tudor head and weathered top coping (similar to gateway to south, q.v.). The Stirrups has much C19 or C20 mullioned fenestration. Tall octagonal stair tower linking The Stirrups to coach-house has spire incorporating small belfry. Square-headed doorways with pointed-arched recesses above and machicolated gablet over each to spire are set on opposite sides of tower at 45 degrees to courtyard; one doorway inscribed SSM 1872. Six segmental-arched openings to coach-house face stable courtyard; projecting timber brackets formerly supported canopy. Three parapet gabled loft dormers now serve flats; central has 3 stepped lights. Ends of coach-house have moulded gable-mounted chimneys. North west side of coach-house has buttressed wall with mullioned iron casements and dormers. Altered range on opposite side of courtyard is not of special interest. The tall spire and the irregular roof line add to the accumulation of turrets and pinnacles at Stanley Park (q.v.). (N.M. Herbert, 'King's Stanley' in V.C.H. Glos. x, 1972, pp 242-257)

Listing NGR: SO8303003819

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1972), 242-257

National Grid Reference: SO 83021 03824

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305613 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 12:37:39.

End of official listing