CHURCH OF CHRIST CHURCH WITH RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305623

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF CHRIST CHURCH WITH RAILINGS, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF CHRIST CHURCH WITH RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305623 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 11:09:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF CHRIST CHURCH WITH RAILINGS, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Chalford

National Grid Reference: SO 89191 02539

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 8802-8902 CHALFORD LONDON ROAD (north side)

13/66 Church of Christ Church with railings 28.6.60

GV II

Former chapel of ease, now parish church. 1725, enlarged 1841 by T. Foster of Bristol; 1857 alterations by F.T. Gompertz, further 1890 alterations by B. Edmund Ferrey. Ashlar and coursed rubble limestone; decorative plain tile roof. Nave with north aisle, west tower and 2 south porches; chancel with north vestry. Neo- Norman style. Five tall Norman style round arched nave windows to south side with linking string course at arch springing level; sill-level string course. Two parapet gabled porches with Norman archways. Diagonal offset buttresses to ends of nave. Eight transverse gables to north aisle, 7 with round arched window containing coloured glass. Three-stage west tower with very squat broach tile-hung spire. Norman style arch to each tower stage, belfry openings being 2-light. Norman style east triplet window to small chancel, round window above. Interior: broad nave with 7-bay round arched north arcade with tall Roman Doric columns; transverse aisle tunnel vault. Timber boarded nave roof with compartment ribs and coved cornice. Three- centred chancel arch. Much panelling and fittings by Sapperton Arts and Crafts group. Openwork choir screen and organ loft panelling by Norman Jewson. Fine lectern with ivory and mother-of- pearl inlay by Peter Waals. Circular stone font with fish carving by William Simmonds has tall timber cover by Norman Jewson with silverwork by George Hart. Stained glass to south nave windows by Edward R. Payne, 1951. Wall monument with figure of mourner and urn to John William Jones, died 1860. South frontage has iron railings, principal posts with urn finials. Residents of Chalford erected a 'neat chapel' in 1725, which after considerable enlargement became a district church in 1842. (N.M. Herbert, 'Bisley' in V.C.H. Glos. xi, 1976, pp 4-40; M.A. Rudd, Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, 1937; and D. Verey, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, 1979)

Listing NGR: SO8919102539

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 132860

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester, (1976), 4-40
Rudd, MA , Historical Records of Bisley with Lypiatt, (1935)
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing