OLD TAN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1305625

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Statutory Address: OLD TAN, TAN OFFICE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD TAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305625 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 20:04:28.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD TAN, TAN OFFICE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Stisted

National Grid Reference: TL 80538 25208

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 82 NW STISTED TAN OFFICE (north-west side)

2/299 Old Tan 2.5.53

GV II

House. Late C15 and early C16, altered in C19. Timber framed, plastered with some exposed framing, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range of 3 bays facing SE, early C16, with mid-C16 stack in left bay. 2-bay crosswing to left, late C15, surviving from an earlier hall house, with structural break between this and main range. 2 C19 gabled wings to rear with C18 catslide extension between them. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 5 C20 casements. First floor, 4 C20 casements. C20 door. Full-length jetty, with exposed joists on main range, lower and fully plastered on crosswing. Some exposed framing below jetty, mostly replacement studding; at left corner of crosswing, one-half of a 4-centred doorhead is exposed externally and internally. Empty mortices for missing braces below jetty. Roof hipped at both ends (rebuilt over crosswing to align with roof of main range). 4 C19 shafts in Tudor Revival style, on truncated C16 octagonal shafts; sunk panel in front of stack inscribed 'O.N.O. MDCCCLV'. 2 similar C19 shafts on external stack at right end. The rear elevation is of red brick in Flemish bond. In the left return some heavy studding is exposed, with a curved tension brace trenched to the outside. Jowled posts in both builds. The studded ground-floor partition between the right (parlour) bay and the middle bay has been removed, and a modern wall inserted. In these bays are chamfered axial beams, unstopped, and plain joists of horizontal section jointed to them with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. Between the middle and fire bay is a chamfered binding beam with step stops; the wallposts supporting it are ledged and similarly chamfered and stopped. The wood-burning hearth is of exceptional size, 3.05 metres wide, with jambs 0.50 metre wide, and a mitred mantel beam; small recess in front of left jamb, large recess inside right jamb; semi-circular stone fireback, cracked, possibly a glacial erratic, incorporated in the brickwork, a rare feature meriting special care. Grooves for sliding shutters at front and back at both storeys. In the rear wall, exposed within the lean-to extension, is a blocked doorway with 4-centred head to the left of the main hearth, heavy studding with 'Suffolk' bracing, and some wattle and daub infill; in the upper storey, a late C16 inserted window of early glazed type with 2 plain rectangular mullions and 3 diamond saddle bars. The tiebeam and chamfered square crownpost between the middle and fire bays has been moved approximately 0.50 metre to the left to abut on the stack, the jowls and arched braces to it removed. The original axial brace to the crownpost has been re-used in the front pitch of the roof, and replaced by a long straight brace. The original crownpost roof of this main range is otherwise intact, with arched axial braces approximately 25mm thick. The first-floor hearth has a 4-centred brick arch and chamfered jambs which include some stone (probably re-used) with mutilated lamb's tongue stops. Apparently this range was built with a timber-framed chimney and cross-entry in the left bay, replaced by a brick stack with one hearth c.1550, and a first- floor hearth inserted c.1600. The ground-floor hearth facing the earlier crosswing has a rebuilt brick arch, and the storey post has been severed above it. The plan of the crosswing is unusual, with a blocked doorway at front left, and in the binding beam mortices and triangular groove for a former partition with gaps at each end. Plain joists of horizontal section are jointed to it with unrefined soffit tenons. Edge-halved and bridled scarf in left wallplate. One of 2 arched braces to the cambered central tiebeam. The roof is rebuilt in softwood. RCHM 8.

Listing NGR: TL8053825208

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116318

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing