PIERS COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1305626

Date first listed: 02-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: PIERS COURT, WOTTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PIERS COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305626 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 15:20:55.

Location

Statutory Address: PIERS COURT, WOTTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud (District Authority)

Parish: Stinchcombe

National Grid Reference: ST 73321 98737

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 79 NW STINCHCOMBE WOTTON ROAD 3/122 (west side) 2.6.52 Piers Court

II*

Large detached dwelling. Principally late C18, but incorporates earlier house probably C16. Palladian block rendered to parapet and with fluted frieze band, hipped tiled roof, large stacks with moulded caps and skirts; north front, two storeys, 2+3+2-windowed, all original sashes with glazing bars, central 3 bays in slightly brought forward section with sediment supported by doric pilasters, central 6-panel fielded door in Doric open pedimented doorcase having frieze with rosettes. Return, right prominent half-octagonal bay plus three windowed front, all good sashes as north face, and one bay return linking to lower wing in rubble with ashlar stack, latter known as Piers Cottage. South wing, parallel with but slightly offset to Palladian wing, rendered, to parapet with large ball finials, stone slate roof and ashlar stack; two storeys, 3-windowed, small 2-light casements at second floor, 2-light sashes with glazing bars, first and ground floors, all with stone cills; plank and batten door centrally in broad C16 wave and ovolo mould wood frame.

Interior of older section with heavy chamfered stopped beams, some box timber framing in wall at interfce between new and old, and bell in opening to west gable - said to have summoned Court formerly held in what is now Piers Cottage; C18 section has generous stone staircase with stick balusters and swept mahogany rail, and many contemorary shutters and doors.

Piers Court was the home of Evelyn Waugh from January 1937 to October 1956.

Listing NGR: ST7332198737

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 131575

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing