Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305720.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 10:36:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cotswold (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 16082 43522


SP 1643-1743 MICKLETON HIGH STREET (east side)

12/92 Medford House 25.8.60 and garden walls


Manor House. Built c1694 for Samuel Medford. Two C20 extensions: that on right dated and initialled R.B. 1938 and A.B. 1938 on rainwater heads. Main body: ashlar with brick rear wall (3 courses stretchers one course header/stretcher). Tall, single ashlar stacks with moulded tops from eaves left and right, triple stack off centre left. Original service wing left: ashlar with buttresses: flat coping on gables and roll cross saddle and ball finial. C20 extension attached left, ashlar towards facade but extended back in square timber framing with brick infill. Brick service wing, on limestone plinth, right of main body, with twin ashlar stack from right gable end between twin gables; flat coping and roll-cross saddles; limestone slate roofing to all. Plan comprises main body with 1930's brick service wing set back from main body wing attached right with C20 ashlar and timber framed extension attached to rear left corner of original service wing left of main body. Facade of main body: 2 storeys and attic, lit by 3 dormers 2 with hipped roofs, all with 2-light casements with leaded panes; 1:1:1 windowed, the outer bays break forward slightly and are lit by 3-light, mullioned and transomed casements with leaded panes. Moulded string below. Central, 6-panel door with rusticated ionic pilasters, keystone and voussoirs over pulvinated freize and cornice with broken pediment. Fire insurance plaque on pediment. Modillioned eaves cornice. Rainwater head dated and initialled R.D. 1797, front left. Service wing left: one storey and attic lit by 3-light dormer window against wall of main body. 2-windowed; 2-light stone mullioned casements with leaded panes, single light pantry window far right. C20 extension, left: 2 storeys with 4-centred arched doorway with flat hood right. 2- light stone mullioned casement left of door. Facade of brick extension right, 2 storeys, 2-windowed. 2-light mullioned and transomed casements flanking limestone coat of arms. Subsidary features: coursed, squared and dressed limestone walls, from corners of main body, at right angles, each with depressed arch, stone doorways towards house. Main body represents one of the key examples of the transition from Cotswold tradition to Queen Anne classical, with both vernacular and Renaissance features. (Illustrated, and described in W.G. Davie and E.G. Dawber's, Old Cottages, Farmhouses and Other Stone Buildings in the Cotswold District, 1905).

Listing NGR: SP1608243522


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Davie, W G, Dawber, E G, Old Cottages Farmhouses and other Stone Buildings in the Cotswold District, (1905)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/02195/06
Rights: © Lorna Freeman. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].