CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1305856

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, STATION ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305856 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 04:45:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Horrabridge

National Park: DARTMOOR

National Grid Reference: SX 51238 69670

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HORRABRIDGE STATION ROAD, Horrabridge SX 56 NW 10/12 Church of St John the Baptist - GV II* Parish church. 1893 with porch dated, 1913, by Fellowes Prynne. Snecked greenstone, limestone dressings, slate roofs with raised coped verges and crestings, cross finials to nave and chancel. West porch, nave, north and south aisles, chancel with north vestry and south organ chamber. Nave and chancel in one has a tall fleche with lead broached base and finial over the crossing with the north and south transept; the roof of the nave is swept down over the aisles, which are shorter than the nave, wooden bellcote and clock. West gable end of nave has two 2-light windows with cusped lights, quatrefoil in tracery and hood-mould, 2-light flat-headed window with cusped heads and hood-mould to north and south; weathered diagonal buttresses, plinth. Flat-roofed porch has central bay broken forward with 4-centred arched opening, hood-mould with uncut stops, angle buttresses with undercut mouldings, string course and brattished parapet stepped up at centre of lantern and cross. 4-bay north aisle has continuous pitch of roof to nave, west porch with door with shouldered head, weathered diagonal buttresses, windows under eaves, outer ones 3- light, inner ones 2-light, all with cusped heads, flat heads and chamfered surrounds; external stair with half-arch below, leading.to upper door to north vestry; plinth. South aisle has west door and 2 windows to left, as on north aisle, gabled south chapel has 3-light Perpendicular style window with pointed arch, 2 straight mullions and upper tracery, hoomould and stops with carved flowers. Chancel has 3-light east window with 4-centred arch, mullions and brattished transom, cusped heads and upper tracery with central quatrefoil, hood-mould with stops with carved flowers, lancet above, diagonal buttresses and central low weathered buttress with foundation stone; 3-light window to north and south under eaves as on aisles, plinth. Gabled north vestry has at lower level two 2-light 2-centred arched windows, at upper ground level a 3-light Perpendicular style window with lancet above, cross finial and buttresses; single cusped lancet to east, upper west door with shouldered head, lower ground level plain door in chamfered surround. Gabled south organ chamber has 3-light south window as on south chapel, buttress and diagonal buttress. Interior: porch has 2-centred arched inner opening with 2 moulded orders to surround, hood-mould with mask stops, half-glazed double doors; recess right and left with cusped stone tracery heads, ceiled. Nave has segmental head to west door with 2 chamfered orders, stepped cill string above, chamfered heads to windows; 2-bay north and south arcades with wide 4-centred arches, 2 wave mouldings, continuous hood-mould with ballflower stops, octagonal piers; roof of common rafters, collars and scissors trusses, one row of purlins; octagonal stone pulpit base on cylindrical stem attached at base of north east pier with wrought iron top. North aisle has windows with segmental rere-arches, 2-light windows with pointed segmental rere-arches, south aisle has 2 bays to west door and half-arch to east leading to organ chamber and vestry. North aisle has pitched roof with common rafters and one row of purlins, one collar from a corbel on pier of north arcade, south aisle has double-chamfered half- arch rising to pier of south arcade, roof pitched to west, separate roof over chapel bays of common rafters, collars and one row of purlins. Chancel arch formed by moulded pilaster north and south with panelled wooden soffit with quatrefoils in panels, painted and brattished rood beam and cross, ceiled wagon roof of 4 bays with moulded and painted principals; wide 4-centred double-chamfered arch north and south, sedilia and Perpendicular style piscina to south, aumbry with door and strap hinges to north, north cill sting with ballflower stops, moulded east cill string; vestry and organ chamber have ceiled roofs. Fittings: Octagonal stone font in nave with carved sides on octagonal stem, coloured marble colonnettes; fine set of choir stalls with bench ends carved with variety of foliage and flowers, pews of half-scissors truss design; pair of large gilded candle holders in chancel on square pedestals; carved wooden panelled reredos with figures of the saints; mid C20 glass in windows of chancel and south aisle. (Sources: Pevsner, N : Buildings of England: South Devon 1952).

Listing NGR: SX5123869670

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 93908

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)

End of official listing