Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:
West Barn, Membury, Axminster, EX13 7UE


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305866.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2020 at 18:13:57.


Statutory Address:
West Barn, Membury, Axminster, EX13 7UE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:


Former mid- to late-C19 barn, converted to residential use in the late C20.

Reasons for Designation

West Barn, a mid- to late-C19 former agricultural building, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Legibility: despite conversion, the original function of the building: a barn with central taking-in doors, remains legible;

* Group value: forms a coherent group with the C16 Land Farm House to the south and the mid- to late C19 former stables, Land Cottage and Lancet Barn, to the east, which are both listed at Grade II.


The List entry for West Barn describes the building as C18. It is not depicted on the 1842 tithe map which suggests that the building is no earlier than the mid-C19. The barn is first shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1890) orientated north to south, with an east range projection at the north end and a diagonally projecting range to the south. The east range originally linked with the former agricultural building (now Lancet Barn and Land Cottage) to the east, creating a U-shaped plan. The western half of the range has since been demolished. These agricultural buildings which were converted to dwellings in the late C20 were formerly associated with the Grade II listed Land Farm House to the south. This early-C16 farmhouse was the birthplace of Thomas Wakley (1795-1862), surgeon and medical reformer, and founder of the medical journal ‘The Lancet’.

Drawings submitted with the planning application (1988) for its conversion indicate that West Barn appears to retain its double-height space to the centre of the main part with first-floor bedrooms to either end, while the east range is a kitchen and a garage. It is understood that the south wing serves as an outbuilding.


Materials: it is constructed of rubble stone under a slate tile roof. The south elevation of the principal range is slate hung.

Plan: L-shaped barn, orientated north to south with an angled range running from the south end of the barn.

Exterior: the former barn is of one and a half storeys with a gabled roof. The principal elevation (east) comprises a former cart entrance at the centre with cambered arch. To the left is a gable with tall window, formerly a taking-in door. To the right is the surviving west half of the single-storey range with Roman tiles to the roof. The south elevation of the barn is slate hung and has two tall windows at first floor.

Interior: not inspected (2013).


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Title: Membury Tithe Map Source Date: 1842 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14674/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Withey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].