This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GATE POSTS AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 350 METRES SOUTH WEST OF WOOD HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATE POSTS AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 350 METRES SOUTH WEST OF WOOD HOUSE

List entry Number: 1305916

Location

GATE POSTS AND GATES APPROXIMATELY 350 METRES SOUTH WEST OF WOOD HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Tawton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 94985

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 69 NE SOUTH TAWTON

1/188 Gate posts and gates approximately 350 metres south-west of Wood House GV II

Gate posts and gates to the main entrance drive of Wood House (q.v.). 1899-1905 by Thomas Mawson. Granite ashlar with some roughcast brick or stone rubble; wrought iron gates. Plan and description: the gateway is set back a short distance from the road to the west. Granite ashlar gate posts are square in section with chamfered plinths and soffit-moulded caps surmounted by obelisks with wrought iron fleur-de-lys finials. The gate piers and full height double gates are wrought iron. Double lock bars and double top rails infilled with scrollwork. The gate piers are surmounted by scrolled finials and the centre of the gateway has an ornate crest in the manner of an overthrow. The top panel of each gate contains an heraldic device in a circular frame. Either side of the gate posts a wall projects outward then turns at an angle projecting forwards and outwards. This wall is made up of roughcast panels defined by rusticated granite ashlar. In front a low quadrant fence of plain granite posts with iron rails between. This is the main gateway to the drive through the grounds to Wood House. It is part of the extensive landscaped garden scheme conceived by Mawson to go with the rebuilding of Wood House (q.v.). Mawson himself considered the whole scheme as one of his major achievements. Source: T H Mawson The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (5th edition) includes copious notes and illustrations of Wood House.

Listing NGR: SX6529795712

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Mawson, T H , The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (1907)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,

National Grid Reference: SX6529795712

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305916 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 05:40:01.

End of official listing