Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1305984.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 19:05:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
West Alvington
National Grid Reference:
SX 72025 43523



G. V. II

House, formerly vicarage. Late C18 remodelling and enlarging of an earlier undateable house, further extended in circa 1857. Walls of slatestone rubble, roughly coursed at the front. Hipped slate roof. 2 brick axial stacks. Plan: the rooms are arranged around 4 sides of a square with a small well at the centre formed by a lobby containing the back stairs which have probably been moved, On the north side of the square is the earliest part of the house, divided from the rest of it by a thick wall and extending as a wing at the rear. Its original room arrangement is unclear but evidently when the house was remodelled it became the kitchen and service end, and consists of a range of rooms opening off a corridor. The east side of the house is the garden front and contains 3 rooms, the largest is at the south end opening off the entrance hall; behind it is another sizeable room and beyond that is a smaller room actually contained in the older part of the house. The west side of the house contains one large room, which may formerly have been two, with a small wing leading off it. The south side has the entrance and stairhall between the 2 rooms running back from it, but the whole of this front was built out in 1857. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay entrance front with 2-storey gabled porch and integral single storey flat roof extension either side of it, all dating from 1857. These have 4-pane sash windows and a C20 6-panel door at the centre. The windows of the original front still survive on the first floor and are 2-light casements in ogee headed openings with intersecting tracery in the heads. Set back from the left-hand side of this front a small wing extends to the left with an overhanging slate-hung first floor. This also has an ogee-headed window on its first floor at the front, with a similar shaped doorway below. The almost symmetrical eastern garden front is 5 windows wide and a straight joint before the right-hand end windows marks the join between old (to the right) and newer parts of the house. The windows are all ogee-headed, those on the ground floor extend to ground level. Along this front is a circa early Victorian verandah on wooden columns. The irregular right-hand elevation of the house has circa early C19 12 and 16-pane hornless sashes and is slate hung to the rear where it extends as a wing. Interior: simple features of the late C18 or early C19 such as 6-panel doors, simple decorative ceiling band in drawing room, panelled shutters and staircase with column newels, stick balusters and decorative tread ends. This is a good quality example of a vicarage which has been little altered this century and retains many of its unusually shaped, late C18, windows.

Listing NGR: SX7202543523


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].