CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1306145
Date first listed:
10-May-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306145 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:27:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINTS PETER AND PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Broadland (District Authority)
Parish:
Salle
National Grid Reference:
TG 11036 24888

Details

TO 12 SW SALES .

4/126 Church of Saints Peter and Paul

10.5.61 I

GV

Parish Church, built in the first half of the C15, of flint with stone dressings and ashlar and lead roofs. West tower, north porch, south porch, nave, clerestorey, north aisle, south aisle, north transept, south transept and chancel. 4 stage tower with stepped angle buttresses. The last stage built circa l5ll. West door with angels with censors in the spandrels and above a frieze With heraldry and 3 niches. 4 light west window, elaborate traceried sound holes and 3 light bell-opening. Battlemented flushwork parapet with crocketed finials, Porches, 2 storeyed with west stair turrets and diagonal buttresses, and both Tieceron vaults with bosses over the ground floor, the north with a Lierne vault over the first floor, possible a Lady Chapel. Aisles with 4, 3-light windows between stepped buttresses. South transept with 4-light south window, and north transept with east 3-light window. Chancel of 3 bays of 3-light windows between buttresses and angle buttresses with 7-light east window. Clerestorey of 6 bays of 2-light windows. All windows have Perpendicular tracery. Roofs have battlemented flushwork parapets. 6 bay arcade, piers with 4 shafts and 4 hollows, and moulded 4 centred arches. Roof with short arch braces, 2 purlins per side with angels at the intersection of principals. Arch braced aisle roofs with traceried spandrels. Transept roofs with delicate timber tracery between panels. Chancel roof arch braced and boarded with ridge bosses. All retain some original painting. C15 ringing gallery with arched and traceried timber balustrade and crane supporting incomplete canopy. Seven sacrament font c.1437 C15 pulpit on single octagonal stem, adapted into a triple-decker arrangement c.1611, complete With back panel and testor. Base of screen with traceried arches over Saints forming the back of the return stalls. High above, remains of the canopy of Honour. Stalls have arm rests with heads, faces and monsters, with misericords of flowers and faces. Benches with poppyheads. original traceried doors to west, north, south and to porch staircases. Altar rails with turned balusters c.1637. Fragments of C15 stained glass in east and south transept windows. Several good C15 brasses commemorating the churches' patrons. (C. L. S. Linell Salle (Church Guide) Nikolaus Pevsner The Buildings of England Norwich and Sou+h Easts Norfolk. Richard Fawcett Salle Church. David King Salle [Church, The Glazing. Programme 1979. Royal Archaeological Institute, Summer Meeting).

Listing NGR: TG1103624888

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220026
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Fawcett, R, Salle Church
Linell, C L S , Salle Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North East Norfolk and Norwich, (1962)
King, D, 'Summer Meeting Programme' in Salle Church The Glazing, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/06922/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David N. Gifford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].