This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1306194

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, TRUNCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: North Norfolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Swafield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Apr-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 224307

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWAFIELD TRUNCH ROAD TG 23 SE 3/93 Church of St. Nicholas 16.4.55 - II*

Parish church. Early C14 west tower, nave and chancel C15. Restored 1861 and 1958. Flint with ashlars dressings. Nave thatched, chancel roof of slate. 3 stage tower, externally undivided, supported by diagonal buttresses to first stage only. 3-light Perpendicular west window. Brick lattice slits to ringing chamber and 2-light Perpendicular belfry windows. Crenellated parapet with flushwork. Diagonal nave buttresses to west, otherwise stepped side buttresses. Gabled south porch with hollow and wave moulded arched entrance. Inner doorway with similar mouldings and late C15 door. Cinquefoiled cusped side lights to porch. Blocked north door. 3 3-light ogeed Perpendicular panel tracery nave windows to north and south under brick relieving arches. 2 3-light Perpendicular windows to north and south chancel walls separated by a stepped buttress. Priests' door to south. Diagonal east buttresses flank 4-light C19 Perpendicular east window. Rood staircase impinges on one light of eastern nave window on north side. Interior. Chamfered tower arch. Hollow chamfered chancel arch with semi-circular responds and polygonal capitals. Nave roof of moulded arched braces rising to moulded principals. One tier butt purlins and ridge piece, both also moulded. Junction of principals and ridge piece covered by bosses. C19 chancel roof of arched braces to principals, collars, one tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Octagonal C19 font with traceried stem and quatre- foils to bowl. C15 chancel screen extensively restored but retaining traceried dado with 8 painted panels depicting Saints. Ogeed piscina in chancel with tracery panels above arch.

Listing NGR: TG2862133072

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 28621 33072

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306194 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 02:24:24.

End of official listing