THE OLD RECTORY
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1306234
Date first listed: 07-Dec-1987
Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306234 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 22:15:27.
Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Mid Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SS 88826 13078
SS 81 SE TEMPLETON
12/185 The Old Rectory -
Former rectory. Early C16 origins, thoroughly rebuilt and extended in the early C19 and circa 1860. Colourwashed rendered stone rubble and cob, stone rubble wing; slate and asbestos slate roofs; chimneys with brick stacks. Plan: Extremely complex evolved plan. The present arrangement is a deep, approximately rectangular plan with a C19 crosswing at the right balancing a single storey front projection at the left. The early core of the house lies between, but was probably originally roofed parallel with the crosswing and projection. The early core may have been a 3 room and passage arrangement, although much obscured by subsequent remodelling but an exceptionally fine hall or parlour of the early C16 survives to the front and a second room on the same axis is heated by a projecting rear lateral stack. A later stack, heating the same room, appears to have been inserted in the former passage, presumably when the lateral stack was temporarily blocked. A third room on the same axis is unheated, it is not clear whether it formed part of the C16 building or is a subsequent addition: it has a lean-to roof. Later alterations are mostly Victorian: a lean-to added to the front of the early range and extended beyond it as a single-storey projection with a rounded end. The C19 crosswing has a polygonal end. Exterior: Single-storey projection to the left, otherwise 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 1:2:1 window front, the single-storey projection to the left with a rounded end and sash window with glazing bars. 2-leaf late C18/early C19 half-glazed door into central block with Gothick glazing bars, 2 gables to the front of the central block. The end of the righthand crosswing is polygonal with stone-framed mullioned windows. Interior: The front left room of the main block has an outstanding high quality circa 1550 ceiling of intersecting moulded beams with carved foliage bosses at the intersections. A moulded wallplate survives on 2 walls and carved half-bosses support the beams at the walls. Good C18 Adam style chimneypiece with carvings of corn on the jambs and delicate applied timber mouldings, presumably concealing a larger, earlier fireplace. The room heated by the rear lateral stack has 2 open fireplaces: the rear fireplace has a high oak lintel and evidence of a former bread oven: the second fireplace, possibly introduced into the former passage, has a C19 or C20 lintel and a brick-lined bread oven. A circa late C15 stone statue niche of ecclesiastical origin with an angel corbel and carved canopy work has been introudced into the stair hall. Roof: Not inspected. Timbers said to be C19 or later. The mid C16 ceiling is an outstanding and remarkable survival.
Listing NGR: SS8882613078
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 96833
Legacy System: LBS
End of official listing