Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306268

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: 1, MARKET HILL


Ordnance survey map of 1, MARKET HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 07:45:41.


Statutory Address: 1, MARKET HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85007 22590


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL MARKET HILL (west side)

9/143 No. 1 (formerly listed 31.10.66 in Nos. 1/2)


House, now shop. Late C16, altered in C17, early C19 and C20. Timber framed, mainly plastered, some infill of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. 2 bays facing E, the left return angled sharply inwards towards the rear. C17 stair-tower to rear right with C20 flat roof, C19 catslide to rear left with C20 stack. C20 single-storey extension beyond, with flat roof, the whole forming a triangular plan. 2 storeys. Ground floor, C20 double shopfront with central recessed entrance and glazed door. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 16 lights with crown glass, in original apertures. One early C19 sash of 12 lights in altered aperture of left return. At rear, C20 casement in gabled dormer. Underbuilt jetty at front. In the ground floor the partition wall between the bays, and the rear wall, have been removed, and a C20 brick wall in front of the rear wall has been inserted. Exposed studding in right wall. The left wall has been infilled with C18/19 brick from ground to apex of roof. Chamfered binding beam and chamfered bridging beams, unstopped; joists plastered to the soffits. In the rear wall of the lean-to is an C18 borrowed light of 20 panes of handmade glass with original rectangular leading, a feature meriting special care. On the upper storey the studding is intact and mainly exposed. Jowled posts. The post at the front left corner has some charring; a photograph of 1897 shows the adjacent building destroyed by fire. The destroyed building was The Red Lion Inn (J.S. Gardner (ed.), Coggeshall, Essex, 1951, 33). Some evidence of former oriel windows at front. Chamfered axial beams, unstopped, and plain joists of vertical section jointed to them with central tenons and housed soffits. Clasped purlin roof with straight wind-braces. The C17 winder stair has plain newels and simply moulded handrails, fully-jointed and pegged, all sand-blasted. Includes RCHM 52.

Listing NGR: TL8500722590


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116171

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Gardner, J S, Coggeshall Essex, (1951), 33

End of official listing