CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1306406
Date first listed:
23-Jun-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306406 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 10:08:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Narborough
National Grid Reference:
TF 74654 12962

Details

TF 71 SW NARBOROUGH MAIN ROAD (west side) 2/13 Church of All Saints 23.6.60

- I

Parish church. Medieval and later. Flint with ashlar and some brick dressings. Slate roofs. Tower at western end of south aisle; aisled nave; chancel. West wall of nave was formerly flush with the west wall of the tower. C13/C14 tower with one diagonal buttress, one south facing buttress to south east angle and one facing- north at north west angle. Lancet window to ground floor, single quatrefoils at first floor to east and south and a flat headed loop to west. Carved gargoyle at former join with nave roof. 3 original 2- light Y-traceried bell-openings and one 3-light panel-traceried replacement to east. Crenellated parapet. Vestry, dated 1906, to north of tower. C12 semicircular headed blocked north nave door partially obscured by a lean-to boiler house. North aisle with a blocked late-Medieval doorway and 4 2-light and one 3-light C19 traceried windows in Perpendicular style. Taller eastern- most bay (heightened to accommodate organ). C14 east window of 3 lights with a complex reticulated motif. South aisle with 4 3-light C19 traceried windows in Perpendicular style. The flat heads appear to retain their original hood- moulds with carved head label stops. The east window has a segmental head also with original hood mould and stops. 2 arched tomb recesses on south wall. C19 south porch. Late C13/C14 south doorway with carved decoration to head. 8 2-light clearstorey windows with flat heads and tracery. Chancel with 2 3-light panel traceried windows and a moulded priest's doorway to south. Fine 5-light panel traceried east window. One 3-light window to north with diagonally set marble plaque below in memory of Sarah Tyssen of Narborough Hall (died 1814). Interior. Hollow-chamfered tower arch of 2 orders and no responds. C14 3-bay north arcade of quatrefoil piers with filletted inter- mediate rolls and facetted capitals/bases. Wave-moulded arches of 2 orders. No chancel arch. South arcade probably C15 of 4 bays on octagonal piers with every other facet of each pier concave (except for westernmost pier and respond). Hollow-chamfered arches of 2 orders. Very fine monuments pertaining mainly to Spelman family including some late Medieval brasses, a heart tomb with bust effigy, a large Jacobean monument in memory of Clement and Ursula Spilman with their full-size effigies, a monument in memory of Clement Spilman (1679):- a standing statue in coloured marble and a wall tablet to John Spelman (1662).

Listing NGR: TF7465412962

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220916
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05332/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janet Johnston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].