8,9 AND 9A, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1306441
Date first listed:
29-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
8,9 AND 9A, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 8,9 AND 9A, CATHEDRAL CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 18:29:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
8,9 AND 9A, CATHEDRAL CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Exeter (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92160 92602

Details

CATHEDRAL CLOSE 1. 1092 Nos 8, 9 and 9A SX 9292 NW 3/104 29.1.53 GV 2. Probably circa 1450. Heavitree stone. Nos 8, 9 and 9A form one block, No 8 having no frontage except an arched entrance to an open passage which leads to the Law Library and Notaries House. Passage has two blocked stone door openings. Long 2 storey front, coursed Heavitree stone masonry below, half-timbering above. The upper floor oversails and is supported on curved oak brackets resting on stone corbels. Arch leading to No 8 is of Beer stone, C15 or C16, and has carved spandrels. Also on ground floor are two small rectangular stone windows with grilles. No 9 has C18 fanlight to doorway, entrance to No 9a is at side. 1st floor has C18 sash windows, including two segmental bows, all with glazing bars. Slate roofs. All the listed buildings in Cathedral Close form a group.

Listing NGR: SX9216392609

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
88918
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09992/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].