CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1306652

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, GREAT BENTLEY GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 17:52:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, GREAT BENTLEY GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Great Bentley

National Grid Reference: TM 10909 21644

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT BENTLEY GREAT BENTLEY GREEN TM 12 SW 4/83 Church of St. Mary 17.ll.66

GV I

Parish Church. Chancel and Nave circa 1130-4O, the Chancel was extended eastwards C14. West tower C14. North Porch C14/C15 heavily restored C19/C20. C19 and C20 restorations. Walls of regularly coursed and herringboned puddingstone, small stones and septaria. Quoins and doorways of Barnack stone, puddingstone dressings to original windows. The West Tower is of the same materials with bricks, volcanic and igneous stone. Red plain tiled roofs. The church is a complete example of C12 building. Chancel, east window C19 of 3 trefoiled lights under a 2-centred head, label with headstops. There are 2 oval and one rectangular stone memorial plaques attached to the wall. North wall, a stone plaque to east, central C13 lancet and a western early C12 round headed window of puddingstone. South wall, eastern small C15 cinquefoiled light, square head and label. Central and western C19 restored trefoiled lancets, traces of a C12 window above the western window. Between these two windows is a C19 2 centred arch doorway under a square label. Nave. North wall C15 eastern window of 3 cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery, 2 centred head, label with headstops. C12 north doorway, plain jambs round headed arch, each voussoir with axe-worked diapering. Imposts with projecting volutes to inner faces, C19/C20 low walls to gabled North Porch of re-used medieval timbers. South Wall, eastern C15 window of 3 cinquefoil lights, vertical tracery, 4 centred head. Central and western C12 round headed windows. Between these windows is the C12 South doorway, round headed arch covered with chevrons and the label with cable ornament, the inner arch has a segmental arch supporting a tympanum and each voussoir carved with 2 surflowers. Each jamb has a shaft with cushion capitals carved with leaf ornament moulded bases and abaci continued round the plain inner order. C12 door, simple vertically boarded. West Tower. Crenellated of 3 stages with a band between stages. West window, mainly C19/C20 of 3 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over 2 centred head. North, south and east walls of second stage have chamfered brick 2 centred arch windows. Each wall of the bell chamber has a window of 2 cinquefoil lights with a quatrefoil in a 2 centred head, moulded labels and stops. There are small square lights to first and second stages of west wall. The west doorway has double hollow chamfered jambs carved with square flowers around the 2 centred head, moulded label. Interior. Chancel. C15 7 cant roof, moulded wall plates. C19 multi-coloured tiles to Sanctuary floor. C14 niches to right and left of east window, hollow chamfered jambs carved with flowers, ogee crocketed heads and finials, carved spandrels, side pinnacles, crenellated heads. Piscina C14, chamfered jambs, 2 centred head, now contains a brass box, C20 memorial shelf on brackets under. North wall C19 memorials to Peter and Michala Thompson of Brook House and Frderick Heckford Thompson of Montego Bay, Jamaica. C19/C20 round headed chancel arch. Nave. C15 7 cant, arched braced roof of 4 bays, moulded wallplates and wallposts. North wall, in the splay of the eastern window in the 4 centred arch doorway to the rood loft staircase, the 2 lowest steps are cut into the cill. By the north east wall the remains of a C13 coffin lid is set into the floor, tapering lid, roundel enclosing 4 small roundels and a roundel below. C15 octagonal font, alternate panels of double trefoils and shields, moulded soffit with carved flowers, stem with 2 centred arches, moulded base. Circa 1874 octagonal pulpit, panels with round headed arches, jamb shafts with carved capitals, stem similar. South wall C15 Piscina, chamfered jambs, trefoiled head. In the east wall of the West Tower is a red brick window/ doorway. There are 2 chests, one small and oblong, the other larger with cambered lid and iron hinges. Carved wood Eagle Lectern C19/C20. 2 centred Tower Arch of uncertain date. C19/C20 west organ gallery. Said to be 8 bells, one by Miles Gray 1683 and one by Henry Pleasant 1703. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TM1090921644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 120202

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)

End of official listing