Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306713.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 11:54:06.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Maldon (District Authority)
Stow Maries
National Grid Reference:
TQ 83440 98366


STOW MARIES LOWER BURNHAM ROAD TQ 89 NW (south side) 4/118 Great Hayes Farmhouse ­ II House. C16 or earlier, altered in C18, C19 and C20. Timber framed, plastered with some exposed framing, and facade of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed mainly with slate, some handmade red clay tiles. Complex plan comprising 4 blocks of different dates: (1) 2-bay building aligned N-S, jettied to the N, C16 or earlier (possibly the crosswing of a medieval hall house of which the remainder has been demolished), the roof rebuilt in the early C19, (2) to S of it, an C18 or early C19 extension with an axial stack at the junction, (3) to E of (1), early C16 2-bay building aligned N-S, jettied to the N, (4) early C19 entrance range to the W of (1) and (2), facing W, with an internal stack in each return. (1) is of 2 storeys with an attic, the remainder is of 2 storeys. W facade of brick, late C19, with 2 full-height square bays, and a central entrance. The windows have been altered to C20 small-pane sashes, 4 on the ground floor and 5 on the first floor. C20 door. (Late C19 gabled porch demolished). Slated roof of shallow pitch. The N elevation is more complex; it was the front originally. Block (3) has 2 exposed brackets below the jetty, exposed close studding above the jetty, and jowled posts, with 'Suffolk' tension bracing trenched to the outside, and a tiled hipped roof, partly or wholly rebuilt. Block (1) has a central beam of heavy section projecting in the middle of the jetty, with an exposed bracket on the upper storey, an early C19 sash of 16 lights with crown glass, and a slated hipped roof of shallow pitch. Otherwise, scattered fenestration, late C19 and C20. Block (1) has chamfered axial and transverse beams with step stops, joists plastered to the soffits. Block (3) has a chamfered binding beam and plain joists of horizontal section jointed to it with soffit tenons with diminished haunches (upper storey and roof not examined). Block (2) has a large wood-burning hearth, a chamfered axial beam with runout stops, and some exposed studding with primary straight bracing. Other structural features plastered over. The entrance hall has the original stair with wreathed handrail and stick balusters. The N stack of this range has been altered at the ground floor. The name derives from Robert de la Haye, 1248 (C.H. Reaney, Place Names of Essex, 1935, 229). The Hearth Tax assessment of 1662 records 4 hearths. Manor house.

Listing NGR: TQ8344098366


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Reaney, PH, Place names of Essex, (1935), 229


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15956/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reginald Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].