This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE BELL PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BELL PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1306793

Location

THE BELL PUBLIC HOUSE, PURLEIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Purleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Dec-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 117434

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PURLEIGH PURLEIGH STREET TL 80 SW (south side) 1/106 8.12.82 The Bell Public House GV II 2 houses combined, now a public house. C15, altered c.1600 and in C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roughcast and partly of red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade and machine-made red clay tiles and slate. Complex plan comprising 5 elements of various dates: (1) a C15 small house of high quality, probably a priest's house, of 2 bays aligned approx. N-S, with an C18 external stack at the N end; (2) to the S of it, the 2-bay parlour/solar crosswing of a C15 hall house; (3) to the E of this, a 3-bay range comprising the 2-bay hall with inserted stack of c.1600 in the E bay, and the originally storeyed service bay; the roofs of all the foregoing have been rebuilt as gambrelled attics in the C18; (4) along the N side of this range, an C18 lean-to extension forming a slated catslide of the main roof; (5) to the N of (1) a brick stable block, C18, with tiled hipped roof. The W wall of this block has been extended S in the C18 to form a brick facade to (1) and (2) facing the churchyard. Mainly of 2 storeys with attics, stable block of 2 storeys. W elevation, scattered fenestration, C19 and C20, and plain boarded door in weatherboarded lean-to porch. Roof half-hipped. S elevation, scattered fenestration which includes at the NE corner of the lean-to extension an early C19 bow window (only the fascia and moulded cornice remaining, the rest altered in the C20), and on the first floor one early C19 sash of 16 lights. The stable block has 2 C20 windows on each floor, 2 plain boarded doors and one pair of double doors. Block (1) has jowled posts, close studding with curved tension braces trenched to the inside; a blocked large first-floor window facing W (towards the church), with mortices for moulded mullions and a rebate for hinged shutters; a chamfered binding beam with convex stops, and chamfered joists of horizontal section with convex stops, jointed to it with central tenons with housed soffit shoulders; a C17 framed ceiling, the main beam chamfered with lamb's tongue stops, forming the floor of the C18 gambrelled attic. The hall (3) has a large wood-burning hearth of 0.33 metre brickwork against the S wall, and an inserted floor comprising a chamfered axial beam and plain joists of vertical section supported on pegged clamps, c.1600. The service bay has a binding beam with mortices and wattle groove for a former partition, interrupted by chamfers with step stops at the W end, indicating an original doorway (an unusual feature in this position) and exposed joists of horizontal section jointed to it with central tenons. There is a framed stair trap in the N part, now blocked. On the ground floor the N wall has been removed, and the E wall rebuilt in the C18. On the first floor of this range, lighting an internal stair, is an C18 borrowed-light, of 2 lights each of 12 rectangular leaded panes, with original glass, leading and wrought iron saddle bars, a rare survival which merits special care. Deeds in the possession of the owners include the grant of a licence for use as a beerhouse in 1670, at which time the property comprised a beerhouse, stable, barn, cottage, smithy, and 4 acres.

Listing NGR: TL8417101987

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 84171 01987

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 10:03:03.

End of official listing