OLD TIMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306825

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: OLD TIMBERS, LOWER GREEN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD TIMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306825 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:38:13.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD TIMBERS, LOWER GREEN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Wethersfield

National Grid Reference: TL 73773 31504

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 73 SW WETHERSFIELD LOWER GREEN ROAD (east side)

1/190 Old Timbers

GV II

House. C16 or earlier, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 2-bay hall facing SE with inserted stack in left bay against rear wall, and parlour/solar bay to right. To left, 2-bay crosswing, c.1570, with axial stack at rear, extended to rear by one bay. Single-storey crosswing to right of main range, 1982. Hall range of one storey with attics, left crosswing of 2 storeys. Ground floor, 4 C20 casements. First floor, 2 more, of which one is in a gabled dormer. C20 door at front of C20 porch. The hall range is much altered, not clearly datable but probably early Cl6. It has jowled posts, heavy studding, and a blocked plain doorway from the hall to the parlour. The hall has a late C16 inserted floor comprising a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops and plain joists of horizontal section supported on pegged clamps. The rafters are trenched for high collars, whether for a crownpost roof or simple collar-rafter roof. Smoke-blackening survives at the left end, on the present staircase. The left crosswing has jowled posts, an unglazed window with 2 diamond mullions in the right side, a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops, chamfered joists of horizontal section with lamb's tongue stops, an edge-halved and bridled scarf in the left wallplate, and a clasped purlin roof with high collars and arched wind-bracing. This combination of features makes a close dating of 1565-1580 possible (J. McCann, The Introduction of the Lamb's Tongue Stop, Historic Buildings in Essex 2, 1985).

Listing NGR: TL7377331504

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 115702

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Historic Buildings in Essex' in Historic Buildings in Essex, , Vol. 2, (1985)

End of official listing