Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306850

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: COCKRELLS, 61, CHURCH STREET


Ordnance survey map of COCKRELLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306850 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 15:37:44.


Statutory Address: COCKRELLS, 61, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85203 22806


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL CHURCH STREET (north-west side)

9/49 No. 61 (Cockrells) 2.5.53 (formerly listed as Cockerells)


House. Early to mid C17, altered in c.1800, restored 1922. Timber framed, plastered with exposed restored framing, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range of 5 bays facing SE with contemporary stack to rear near left end, and later stack to rear near right end. 2-bay wing to rear of right stack, with C20 external stack at left. One-bay wing to left of it, possibly the original stair tower. One-bay wing to left of it, and 2 single-storey extensions beyond, one with a central stack and hipped roof, one with a flat roof. 2 storeys and attics. Ground floor, 2 C20 oriels of casements with flank windows in the style of 1600. First floor, 2 similar oriels and flank windows and a C20 casement in similar style. 3 C20 casements in gabled dormers. C20 door with 4-centred head, roll-moulded surround, moulded and carved 4-centred doorhead in early C16 style. Full-length jetty with exposed joists of vertical section. The exposed framing at the front, the right return and the left gable is nearly all of 1922; the remainder is plastered over. Unjowled posts, primary straight bracing and studding exposed internally, much restored. Chamfered transverse beams and axial bridging beams with lamb's tongue stops, some mutilated for former plaster, some renewed in 1922, at both storeys. Similar beams over the ground floor of the right wing, the remainder of it fully plastered internally. The left ground-floor hearth is original internally, wholly restored externally. The hearth above it has original moulded jambs and depressed arch, the back and internal splays repointed but apparently of C17 origin. The right stack has a C20 hearth on the ground floor and an ornate Victorian cast iron grate above. Original joggled butt-purlin roof, ceiled above collar level. Deeds in possession of the owner or Essex Record Office from the time of George III. RCHM 9.

Listing NGR: TL8520322806


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116080

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing