HAWBUSH OLD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306872

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: HAWBUSH OLD HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAWBUSH OLD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306872 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 13:20:35.

Location

Statutory Address: HAWBUSH OLD HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Cressing

National Grid Reference: TL 78574 20365

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRESSING HAWBUSH GREEN TL 72 SE (west side)

1/54 Hawbush Old House 2.5.53 (formerly listed as Hawbush Farmhouse)

GV II

Wrongly shown on OS map as Hawbush Farm. House. C14 and C16, restored c.1968, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. The plan comprises 4 elements, of which the first 3 are structurally separate: (1) one bay of a C14 parlour/solar crosswing, originally of 2 bays, surviving from an early medieval house of which the remainder has been demolished, (2) to S, 2-bay hall range (originally floored in one bay only), facing E, c.1500, with mid-C16 external stack to rear, (3) late C16 3-bay crosswing to left, with C19 external stack to left of it, (4) late C16 stair-tower to rear of left bay of hall range. C20 single-storey lean-to extensions to rear and rear left. Conservatory to left, c.1984. 2 storeys and attics. 3-window range of C20 casements with diamond leading, and 2 more in gabled dormers. Entrance in lean-to porch to rear left. The roof of the main range has been extended to the left to incorporate the crosswing, with a gablet above it, and the right crosswing has been re-roofed to form a catslide to the rear, with twin gabled dormers. The central cambered tiebeam, arched braces, collar-purlin and binding beam of the right crosswing are exposed to the front. The crownpost is exposed inside, with short straight rising braces each side and a longer straight brace (from a lower point on the crownpost) to the collar-purlin. 3 original collars and 2 rafter couples survive, the collars half-dovetailed to the rafters and fixed with nailhead pegs; the remainder of this roof is cut off by the alteration to a catslide at the rear, and the demolition of the front bay. On the ground floor, diamond mortices in the rear girt indicate a former unglazed window. In the left side is the blocked original doorway through into the hall, with double ogee doorhead and 2 empty mortices for a former draught screen. In the same wall is a pair of 4-centred doorheads; these were moved from the other end of the hall range during the C16, when the ends were reversed, the original parlour/solar wing becoming a service wing, and the late C16 left crosswing forming a new parlour/solar end, on the site of a former service bay. The floor in the right bay is original, comprising a moulded axial beam lodged on the framing of the crosswing, with chamfered joists of horizontal section with step stops at the outer ends only. The girts of this right end are rebated for panelling or wainscot, which is missing. The central post of the rear wall has been severed for the insertion of a large wood-burning hearth, and supported on a heavy lintel above the mantel beam, which is chamfered with bar stops. The left bay of the hall range contained the original front and rear doorways; the position of the front door is indicated by a deep rebate in the corner post. The rear doorway with 4-centred arched head was re-sited c.1968, and is now in the side of the left crosswing, but its original position in the rear wall is indicated by peg-holes in the girt. The floor in this bay was infilled in the late C16; there is evidence of a former gallery to the rear, and an open void in front of it, occupied by a chimney stack (which has been demolished) and probably a stair to the gallery. Front and back doors were inserted at the right end of the hall range at the same time, since blocked. On the first floor is an original studded partition between the bays, with altered doorway on the line of the former gallery, and in the rear wall 2 glazed windows with diamond mullions and grooves for sliding shutters; one mullion is a restoration of c.1968, the others are original. Also in this wall is an edge-halved and bridled scarf. At the left end studs have been removed for access to the rear stair-tower. The roof is of clasped purlin construction with cranked wind-braces, not smoke-blackened; this roof appears to be a rebuild of the late C16. The left crosswing has moulded binding beams (one hacked away to increase the clearance), inserted partitions between the middle and rear bays, and a clasped purlin roof with cranked wind-bracing, originally gabled but altered to hips at front and back to align with the roof of the hall range. On the ground floor an original glazed window at the front has been replaced by the present window, of similar dimensions. To each side of it a smaller glazed window was inserted c.1575, each with one moulded mullion and 2 diamond saddle bars, now with C20 glazing. On the upper floor the left room is lined with oak panelling of c.1600, believed to have been removed from the ground floor c.1968. The stair tower has a blocked ground floor window with one ovolo mullion, and mortices for an unglazed window on the upper floor. The stair is rebuilt. (See report, photographs and measured drawings by J. McCann, 1981, deposited in Essex Record Office and the National Monuments Record). RCHM 4.

Listing NGR: TL7857420365

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116378

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing