Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306911.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2021 at 02:21:36.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Kesteven (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 08954 36138



12/106 Parish Church of 1.2.67 St. Peter


Parish church. C12, C13, C14, Spire restored 1872. Coursed limestone rubble and ashlar, lead and Collyweston slate roofs. West tower with broach spire, nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch. 3 stage C13 west tower, coursed rubble to the lower stages, ashlar above. Chamfered plinth and string courses, gabled set back angle buttresses. In the belfry stage are paired louvered lights with clustered mid shafts, pointed heads to the lights, quatrefoils and moulded shafted surrounds. The spire has 3 tiers of gabled lucarnes in alternating directions, with pairs of cusped trefoil headed lights to the lower stage and single lights to the upper. In the south wall is a plain lancet and in the north wall is a large triple chamfered pointed window. In the west wall of the north aisle is a single small lancet and in the north wall are 5 three light C14 windows with cusped ogee heads to the lights, mouchettes and quatrefoils in chamfered pointed surrounds. Also a C13 doorway with hollow moulded head and engaged side shafts with annular capitals. To the east is a single 3 light window matching the rest. The north wall of the chancel contains 1½ bays of a blocked late C12 arcade with stiff leaf foliage to the round capitals and roll moulded arches. Beyond to the east is a single C12 round headed window with roll moulded surround and head and above is a short section of reset contemporary corbel table. In the chancel east wall are 3 round headed C12 windows with roll moulded surrounds and continuous hoods. In the south wall of the chancel is a C14 2 light window with trefoil heads to the lights and a chamfered rectangular surround. There is also a blocked pointed window and a small triangular headed and chamfered priest's door. The south aisle has a chamfered plinth and a plain parapet. To the east is a C14 2 light window with C19 cusped Y-tracery. To the south are 3 three light windows pointed chamfered C14 surrounds, now with C19 cusped flowing tracery. Also a single C14 window of 3 lights in a rectangular surround with similar tracery. At the west end of the aisle is cut a sundial dated 1688, 'The gift of Edmund Hutchinson, Gentleman'. The gabled south porch has a double chamfered outer arch with hollow moulded hood and human headed stops. Inside are side benches, chamfered pointed blank side arches and cusped Y- traceried 2 light side windows. The inner door is C13 with side shafts, annular capitals and moulded head with floriate stops. Interior: 5 bay north nave arcade having 3 round pillars with moulded annular capitals and a filleted quatrefoil pillar with to the west a stiff leaf decorated triple shafted respond. The 4 moulded and pointed western arches are C13, whilst the eastern arch is C12 with a moulded round head. The south arcade has an engaged octagonal western respond, single round and octagonal pillars and a quatrefoil pillar matching that to the north. The arches of the south arcade are double chamfered. C13 tower arch with triple engaged shafted reveals and heavily moulded head. C14 tie beam roofs to nave and chancel, moulded principals to the eastern section. In the chancel are the finely carved rear arches of the C12 east windows with roll mouldings, annular capitals and human heads. In the side walls are 2 C19 double aumbries with moulded round heads. In the south wall is a C13 piscina having a cambered arched opening anda single shaft with a foliate capital. In the north wall is a blocked C12 arch with moulded round head, Fittings: C19 carved panelling and reredos to chancel, brass altar rails and marble pulpit. Tapering circular early C13 tub font with blank pointed arcades to the upper parts and a black letter inscription to the splayed plinth. Monuments: At the west end of the nave are 2 large redundant figures of a knight and his lady; apparently Sir Lambert de Trikyngham, d. 1280, and his wife. He is clad in chain mail and surcoat with shield and feet resting on a lion, she in a flowing gown, feet resting on a hound. Near the south door are 3 C14 tapering ledger slabs, one with a cross fleury. On the east wall of the north aisle is a marble wall monument to William Fysher, d. 1674; fluted Doric pilasters with roses in the necking support a triglyph frieze and escutcheon flanked by urns. In the south aisle is a small slate wall monument to Edward Dawson, d. 1787, a wreathed patera and swagged urn on a rectangular panel with rounded ends by Casswell, Sculptor.

Listing NGR: TF0895436138


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05639/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].