Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1306949
Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952
Statutory Address: TREHILL HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306949 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 09:40:33.
Statutory Address: TREHILL HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Teignbridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SX 91799 84934
SX 98 SN
5/142 Trehill House
Small country house, the home of the Ley family from the early C18 to the 1950s. Rebuilt 1827 for J.H. Ley by C.R. Ayers (c. 1788-1845) (Colvin) in Greek Revival Style. Colourwashed stuccoed sandstone ; slate hipped roof behind parapets rendered stacks. Plan: Approximately square-on-plan with a central entrance on the west side into an entrance hall, large central stair hall behind entrance hall. The entrance hall is flanked by the morning room to the right (south) and an office to the left (north). The stair hall gives access to the bow-fronted library in the centre on the east side, a deep drawing room on the south side with an ante room at the east end and the dining room to the north east with a service passage and butler's pantry between the dining room and office. The service block no longer exists. There has been some 1980s reordering of the office and butler's pantry, which have been converted to a kitchen and bathroom. The principal rooms are very complete with refined Greek detail. Exterior: 2 storeys and attic with a half basement, providing a piano nobile for the principal rooms, the attic windows concealed behind a balustraded parapet, the half basement rusticated below a platband. Symmetrical 5-bay entrance (west) front, the centre bay wider and recessed with steps up to a 3-bay Greek Doric portico with a good 2-leaf panelled front door flanked by 12-pane sashes. Sash windows to the basement; 12-pane sashes to the piano nobile with moulded architraves, floating cornices and aprons; 3 over 6 pane first floor sashes with moulded architraves. Delicate strip mouldings to the first floor of the centre bay. 7-bay east elevation, overlooking the park, the centre 3 bays bowed to the front with a ruinous flight of steps (probably mid C19) up to a French window into the library in the centre bay. Fenestration as on the west elevation. The south elevation is 5-bays, the centre 3 slightly broken forward, the outer windows of the piano nobile and first floor blind, the piano nobile windows with pediments. Fenestration otherwise as on the west elevation. The north elevation is identical to the south but has had some minor alterations in the 1950s to provide access to flats in the attic storey. Interior: Very complete with high quality detail and original joinery, including double doors, good doorcases and skirting boards. The entrance hall incorporates 3 friezes with figures in relief, probably casts from the Temple of Apollo at Basra (information from owner); round-headed niches decorate the walls. A circa 1870s flamboyant chimneypiece in a free Jacobean style has been added on the wall opposite the front door. Splendid stair hall, top-lit with painted glass panes (not all complete) and decorated with Greek key patterns and another frieze similar to the entrance hall, with an open well stair with decorated iron balusters, a ramped wreathed handrail, and a gallery of statue niches. Statues removed for cleaning at time of survey (1987) and said not to be contemporary with the house (information from owner). Library very complete with a good black marble and gilded chimneypiece, dentil frieze to ceiling and co-eval bookcases with dentil friezes. Drawing room with elegant white marble chimneypiece with anthemia carvings, complete with original fireback and a mirror overmantel with a decorated frame. High quality ceiling frieze of anthemia. Similar decoration to the ante-room at the east end of the drawing room which also has an original chimneypiece with a rare survival in an ingenious integral fireguard that pulls out of one of the jambs. The dining room also retains its original chimneypiece and anthemion frieze. Original chimneypieces and plaster cornices intact on first floor ; original chimneypieces also survive on the attic storey which has been converted to flats. A high quality and very complete Greek Revival house. C.R. Ayers designed Canonteign House in Christow parish in 1828, altered following an early C20 fire. The pre 1827 house at Trehill is illustrated in 1795 by Swete who also describes some of the planting round the house. Colvin, H., A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 (1978). Swete, "Picturesque Sketches of Devon", vol 11 (1795), M.S. held by the Devon Record Office.
Listing NGR: SX9179984934
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 85808
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Swete, J, Swetes Picturesque Sketches of Devon, (1792-1801)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing