Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1306991

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 30-May-1986



Ordnance survey map of BROOK HALL FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1306991 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 16:10:07.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Latchingdon

National Grid Reference: TL 89965 00968


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LATCHINGDON STEEPLE ROAD TL 80 SE (south side) 2/38 Brook Hall Farmhouse 10/1/53 (Formerly listed as Brook Hall) ) ­ II

House. Circa 1500 and C17, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with interlocking concrete tiles. C17 4-bay range facing NW, with axial stack in second bay from right end. Behind right end, C18/C19 single-storey service range with axial stack. At left end of main range, 2-bay crosswing projecting forwards, c.1500, with early C17 external stack at left side, the whole forming a Z-plan. 2 storeys with attics. Ground floor, 3 C20 casements and one metal sliding French window. First floor, 3 C20 casements. C20 door. Roof of main range half-hipped at right end, roof of crosswing fully hipped. The crosswing survives from a medieval hall house, of which the remainder has been demolished, much of the timber being re-used in the present main range. The crosswing has jowled posts, close studding partly exposed internally, a chamfered binding beam with mitred stops, a cambered central tiebeam with 2 arched braces, and a crownpost roof with axial bracing. The main range has chamfered axial and transverse beams with lamb's tongue stops at both floors, and plain joists of square section. The clasped purlin roof is almost wholly constructed of re-used rafters from the roof of the medieval hall house. 2 large wood-burning hearths back to back, much altered in the C20. At the E corner of the stack is a brick inscribed with the letters I.W., but half concealed by plaster. If the other half has a date, this is likely to be the date of construction of the original chimney, and therefore of the main range. RCHM 8.

Listing NGR: TL8996500968


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117394

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing