CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307043.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 09:01:40.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 16904 06758
ST 10 NE
6/73 Church of St Mary
Parish church. Norman origins and font, rebuilt in the late C13 - early Cl4,
refurbished in the C15 with new tower (the top part rebuilt in 1905) and the south
porch, the church was renovated 1885 - 90 and the chancel was rebuilt at the same
time, renovated again in 1923. Local stone and flint rubble; original Beerstone
ashlar detail; C19 Membury stone ashlar detail; slate roof with some C19 crested
Plan: cruciform plan church, its long C19 chancel lower than the nave and
transepts; west tower and south porch. The tower is now used as the baptistry.
Exterior: tall west tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses to the top of the
second stage. The eaves cornice (rebuilt in 1905) is moulded with gargoyle water-
spouts. The parapet has moulded coping. Semi-hexagonal stair turret on south side.
2-light belfry windows with Perpendicular tracery. The west tower doorway is a 2-
centred arch with moulded surround and directly above is a 4-light window with
Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould with carved head label stops. The south side of
the nave is 3 bays. It contains a central doorway, a possibly late C13 - early C14
2-centred arch with moulded surround and noodmould with carved head label stops and
above it is a shallow image niche. It has a C15 gabled porch with a 2-centred outer
arch with moulded surround and hoodmould with carved head label stops. Its open
wagon roof with moulded purlins is original. The porch is flanked by 2-light
windows with Decorated tracery and hoodmoulds with carved foliage label stops. The
gable-ends of the transepts have early Decorated style 3-light windows with stilted
Y-tracery; the north transept window is original. The north side of the nave has 2
similar 2-light windows, one either side of a blocked doorway. The chancel has C19
windows with Perpendicular tracery and the south side includes a reset probably late
C13 - early C14 priests door with trefoil head.
Good interior: the roof of the nave and transepts may be original; that is to say
late C13 - early C14, but maybe later C14 or C15 . Whatever the date the roof is
magnificant. It is an open, common rafter truss, vault with moulded purlins and
wall plates. The crossing is most impressive and made up intersecting arch-braced
trusses with a replacement carved oak boss at their intersection. The large moulded
arch braces spring from half-engaged octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. The
chancel has a C19 open wagon roof. C15 tall panelled Beerstone tower arch with
moulded surround and caps to the shafts. The chancel arch has a triple-chamfered
arch ring springing from shafts with moulded caps. There is a plain 2-centred arch
from the chancel to the vestry and small trefoil-headed piscina in the north
transept. The walls are plastered. The floor of the nave and transept is flagged
and there are some ancient graveslabs included in the transepts. The chancel floor
is C19 tile.
C20 oak reredos and C19 altar table. On the south side of the sanctuary a length of
Norman carved stone has been adapted to a piscina. C19 oak altar rail with twisted
iron standards (similar standards are incorporated in the stall frontals). The
furniture is all C19, built of oak, and some have minimal Gothic decoration.
The font is very good and though probably Norman may be late Saxon. It is built of
Membury stone. It has a square bowl with round rim moulding. The bowl is covered
with a rich and elaborate sculpture. The east face features a martyrdom and the
other sides feature a fabulous monster, wild animals and patterns. Each corner has
a large mask-like head. Most of the shaft and the base are C20.
There are no memorials except for a later C13 or C14 sepulchral arch which has been
reset in the chancel. The C19 glass scheme is simple but complete. Various old
fragments such as part of a medieval brass, acoustic bowls, C15 carved oak bosses
from the tower and other architectural fragments are displayed in the church.
Source: John Sage. St Marys Church, Luppit
Listing NGR: ST1690406759
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Sage, J, St Mary's Church Luppit
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing