GUEST HOUSE OF COGGESHALL ABBEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1307071

Date first listed: 02-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: GUEST HOUSE OF COGGESHALL ABBEY, ABBEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUEST HOUSE OF COGGESHALL ABBEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307071 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 20:22:20.

Location

Statutory Address: GUEST HOUSE OF COGGESHALL ABBEY, ABBEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Coggeshall

National Grid Reference: TL 85535 22207

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL ABBEY LANE (south side)

9/13 Guest-house of 2.5.53 Coggeshall Abbey (formerly listed as the Chapel of St. Catherine, Coggeshall Abbey)

GV I

Guest-house of Cistercian abbey, now boiler-house. Circa 1190, altered in late C16. Walls of flint rubble containing brick, with dressings of brick, raised with re-used original brick and tile; gables timber framed and weatherboarded; roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Rectangular plan aligned NNE-SSW (described here by the cardinal points) with axial stack, 1984. S wall demolished for post-Dissolution use as a barn. The W and E walls have each 4 lancet windows recessed in 2 plain orders; all are partly repaired, and 3 on the E are partly blocked. The N wall has at the W end a doorway with round arch and rear-arch, with rounded external arrises formed of moulded bricks, rebated internally for a door. The quoins are mainly of brick 0.33 x 0.15 x 0.045 metre, and are all partly repaired. Internally there are 5 recesses for seats in each of the W and E walls, and 2 in the N wall, all with round arches and similar rounded arrises; 2 on the W are partly filled with later masonry, but otherwise unaltered; 2 on th E are partly filled, and one is repaired; one on the N has lost its brick arch; the other has an internal pier of later brickwork, and is obstructed by a boiler flue of 1984. The N wall is reduced in thickness in 2 stages, with flat ledges; there is no evidence of beam-sockets for a floor. The walls have been raised approximately 0.50 metre in the late C16. The late C16 roof is in 2 bays, of clasped purlin construction with arched wind-braces, rafters of horizontal section, with bird-mouthed collars at the half-bay positions, complete. The amendment notice of 30 December 1958 identified this building as the Chapel of St Catherine; J.S. Gardner cites documentary evidence of 1464 that the Chapel was N of the (demolished) Nave (Coggeshall Abbey and its early brickwork, Journal of the British Archaeological Association, third series 18, 1955, 19-32 and plates 5-14). Gardner states from excavated evidence that the S wall originally had a doorway in line with that in the N wall, with a porch. Between them a floor of tiles on edge has been exposed, approximately 0.80 metre below present ground level. RCHM (Little Coggeshall) 2. A.M.

Listing NGR: TL8553522207

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 116044

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of The British Archaeological Association' in Journal of The British Archaeological Association, , Vol. 18, (1955), 19-32

End of official listing