CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1307089
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307089 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 23:35:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Welton Le Wold
National Grid Reference:
TF 27347 87307

Details

WELTON LE WOLD CHURCH LANE TF 28 NE (east side) 7/48 Church of St. Martin 9.3.67 G.V. II*

Parish church. C14, C15, 1849 by S. S. Teulon. Squared ironstone rubble with ashlar dressings, with stone coped slate roofs having cruciform finials. Western tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, south porch. The short C14 3 stage tower has moulded plinth, chamfered string courses, castellated parapet with angle beast corbels, castellated pinnacle bases to the corners and stepped full height angle buttresses. The belfry stage has paired ogee headed louvred lights with vesicas over in single chamfered surrounds in the principle directions. The C15 west door has a hollow chamfered surround, 4 centred head and moulded hood. Above is a C15 3 light window with trefoil heads to lights, panel tracery, hollow chamfered surround and hood. The middle stage has a single light with trefoil head, sunk spandrels and rectangular surround. The remaining parts of the Church were rebuilt in 1849 in the Decorated style. The east and west walls of the north aisle have single 2 light windows with cusped ogee heads to the lights, paired mouchettes and moulded hood. The north wall has 4 similar windows separated by buttresses. The chancel north wall has a single light with cusped ogee head and hood. The east wall of the chancel has a 3 light window, cusped heads to the lights and flowing tracery with mouchettes and daggers. The south wall has 2 windows of 2 lights with cusped ogee heads to the lights and cusped tracery and hoods. The nave south wall has 3 taller 2 light windows matching those on the north side. The gabled south porch has a moulded outer doorway with shafted responds, foliate capitals and moulded hood. The porch has stone side benches, and inner doorway with simple continuous filleted roll moulded surround. The door has elaborate curvilinear wrought ironwork. Interior. The north nave arcade is of 4 bays, with octagonal piers and responds and double chamfered arches. The moulded hoods have single end stops of the Young Queen and a Bishop. The C14 tower arch also has octagonal responds, moulded capitals and single chamfered head, all in a continuous single chamfered surround. The chancel arch has octagonal responds and richly moulded head. Cusped king post roof to nave with ballflower corbels and arch braced roof to chancel with similar corbels. All fittings are C19 including painted metal commandment boards, but the font is C14 with octagonal base, shaft and bowl having blank shields in quatrelobes to the side, with C19 conical pulley operated cover. In the chancel by the north wall a small C13 slab with stepped cross and sheep shears. Also on the north wall a small brass wall plaque records the rebuilding of the church in 1849 by Rev. E. W. Hughes in commemoration of his son.

Listing NGR: TF2734787307

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195300
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05901/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].