HOME HOUSE INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING AT SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307120
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1955
Statutory Address:
HOME HOUSE INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING AT SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOME HOUSE INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING AT SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 06:07:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOME HOUSE INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING AT SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Haccombe with Combe
National Grid Reference:
SX 90414 71387

Details

HACCOMBE-WITH-COMBE COMBEINTEIGNHEAD SX 90 71

16/104 Home House including barn adjoining at south 23.8.55

GV II

House, divided into 2, and barn adjoining at left (south) end. Late medieval origins to the house with several phases of alteration including substantial remodelling of the circa early C17, late C18 and 1950s. Barn probably C18. Colourwashed rendered cob on stone rubble footings ; thatched roof, half-hipped at right end, hipped to front of front wing, gabled at left end of barn. Axial stack to right of centre, rear left lateral stack, stack on left return of front wing ; there may have been a second rear lateral stack. Plan: Complex evolution. The present plan is a long single depth range, facing east, with a deeper room at the right (north) end and a centre front wing giving an approximate overall T plan. Entrance into front of wing into a passage on to which the stack of the right hand room backs. C20 stair rises from rear of passage behind the wing, unheated room to the rear (possibly with original stack dismantled). The left end of the house, a separate cottage, has been repartitioned but has a large rear lateral stack. The core of the house is a late medieval open hall house of jointed cruck construction, probably floored in the C17. The room to the right was probably remodelled or added at this date as a high quality parlour and re-roofed in the late C18 (date of 1788 in roofspace) when the front wing was added, reducing the room behind to a service room. The left end of the house is more difficult to date but is probably at least C17 in origin. The outbuilding at the left end, now in use as a cider barn, is probably C18 in origin. Exterior: 2 storeys. Long asymmetrical 9 window front (including 2 windows to the wing), the wing and the right end of the house with a higher roofline, the eaves thatch eyebrowed over the first floor windows to the left of the wing. Front door with timber lattice porch into wing, door to cottage to left, 2 further doors at extreme left. C20 2- and 3-light casements with glazing bars except for the ground floor window of the wing which is a late C18 3-light mullioned window with casements with square leaded panes. C20 projection to left return of the wing. The barn adjoining at the left end has a large doorway on the front, 2 1-light windows and a flight of stone steps to the left. The rear elevation has a 2 storey C20 addition to rear right, a projecting rear left stack with bread oven projection and a second projection, possibly a bread oven to a former stack. Interior: The right hand room has a chamfered crossbeam and chamfered scroll-stopped half beams, exposed joists scratch-moulded on the hearth side of the centre beam, chamfered and stopped on the other side of the beam with considerable C20 replacement. The open fireplace with a chamfered lintel, has been reduced in size. Chamfered half-beams to the room behind the front wing. Late C18 doors with fielded panels to front and room in wing. The left-hand end of the house is plain internally and has been repartioned. A re-sited cupboard in a passage left of the wing has a date of 1670 on the door. Roof: 2 bays of the medieval roof structure survive over the room behind the front wing. The roof structure is partly obscured by plaster but consists of a thickly- sooted face-pegged jointed cruck truss with a threaded ridge, the mortised collar has been replaced. A hip cruck at the left indicates the end of the medieval open hall. Pegged roof trusses over the right end are of a late C18 character and a date of 1788 with the initials D.F. is scratched in the plaster in the roofspace. Roofspace over left end not inspected. The barn has a good cobbled floor with a drain and probably C18 or early C19 roof trusses with 1980s repair. A handsome long thatched range in the village, end on to the road, the house of medieval origins.

Listing NGR: SX9041471387

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
85767
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/04474/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Julia K Rich. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].