CHURCH OF ST MARK
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARK
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307283 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 17:38:58.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARK
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 51581 01047
FRODESLEY C.P. FRODESLEY
SJ 50 SW
6/120 Church of St. Mark
Parish church. 1809 on earlier site, north aisle of 1859. Rendered roughly squared and coursed red, yellow, and grey sandstone with grey sandstone ashlar dressings; 1859 addition of snecked grey sandstone with ashlar dressings; slate roof, hipped to east. 2-bay nave and chancel in one and 3-bay lean-to north aisle in a late C13 Gothic style. Chamfered plinth; ashlar pilaster strips, clasped around corners and supporting coped parapeted gable end to west; painted wooden square bellcote to west with louvred round-arched openings (segmental to east), and pyramidal cap with weathervane. Round-arched cast-iron windows; formerly Venetian east window, side-lights now blocked, with imposts, plain architrave to arch, and projecting keystone; round-arched west doorway with imposts and projecting keystone, and boarded door; now illegible square datestone in gable end to west. Aisle with chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets, coved eaves, and parapeted verges; paired trefoil-headed chamfered lancets; east end with small chamfered trefoil window and west end has window with 2 trefoil-headed lights, circular plate tracery and chamfered reveals and Caernarvon- arched doorway to left with chamfered reveals and boarded door with strap hinges. Interior: 2-bay north aisle arcade of c.1859 : circular pier with octagonal base and moulded capital, double-chamfered arches, and hoodmould with carved stops; aisle windows with chamfered segmental rear arches; flat ceiling to nave with coved cornice; lean- to aisle roof with chamfered arch-bracing springing from stone corbels; east window with probably early C19 panelled soffit and reeded surround with rosettes at impost level and at apex. Fittings: plain C12 tub font with holes for former top fixing, large circular base; 2 steps up to sanctuary, panelled at the rector's expense in 1847; plain C19 communion rails; reredos with fluted pilasters and cornice; communion table in part made up from C17 panelling; square pulpit with reeded pilasters, frieze and dentil cornice; west gallery of 1809 on two columns with plain panelling and dentils; early C19 box pews, with some reused C17 panelling; organ with quatrefoil frieze and painted pipes; quarry tiled floor. Stained glass in east window said to come from the old church, depicting the arms of members of the Scriven family. Monuments: early C18 tablet beneath gallery with guilloche-ornamented pilasters and coved cornice; tablet on south wall to William Yeats, died 23rd January 1783; hatchment on north wall; other late C18 and early C19 tablets. The pulpit and reading desk are said to incorporate C17 and C18 panelling. The baluster-shaped font of c.1829 that was said to exist was not evident at time of survey (April 1985); a photograph in the church dated 2nd September, 1930 shows the C12 font standing outside the church at the west end, it was brought inside c.1939. A church was first recorded on this site in 1272. Cranage describes 2 old fonts and other carved stones in the garden of the neighbouring former rectory, there is no evidence of them now although one of the fonts was probably that which is now in the church. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p p. 83-4, D.H.S., Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Vol. 6, p. 490; B.O.E. , p. 132; Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire, 917, p. 96.
Listing NGR: SJ5158101047
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 490
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 132
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, , Vol. 917, (), 96
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.