ENMORE CASTLE WITH SERVICE COURT OUTBUILDINGS AND UNDERCROFT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307522
Date first listed:
09-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
ENMORE CASTLE WITH SERVICE COURT OUTBUILDINGS AND UNDERCROFT, 1 AND 2, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENMORE CASTLE WITH SERVICE COURT OUTBUILDINGS AND UNDERCROFT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307522.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 08:20:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
ENMORE CASTLE WITH SERVICE COURT OUTBUILDINGS AND UNDERCROFT, 1 AND 2, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Enmore
National Grid Reference:
ST 23931 35267

Details

ST23NW ENMORE CP CHURCH LANE (North side)

2/23 Nos. 1 and 2 Enmore Castle with service court outbuildings and undercroft

GV II

Country house; remaining wing of a larger building, now mostly demolished, undercroft surviving; now divided into 2 dwellings. Ante 1779 for John Perceval, Earl of Egmont; early/mid C19 work by Broadwood family to remaining wing; much mid C20 internal alteration. Rubble, freestone dressings and quoins, hipped slate roof with wide bracketed eaves, brick stacks. Formerly a large pseudo-baronial mansion with central courtyard and corner towers, stables and offices in a large undercroft; about one quarter still survives, though large preparation of undercroft remains. Three storeys with basement; garden front to No 1 of 1:3:1 bays; each outer bay in a projecting square turret, semi-circular head windows in bead-moulded surrounds with emphasised imposts and keystones, sash windows with glazing bars and traceried gothick heads, 4-pane sash windows with square heads in dressed stone surrounds to second floor. Centre 3 bays with 2 similar gothick sash windows; three 2-light stone- mullioned windows under stepped labels, each light with a semi-circular head; and 4 pairs of French windows in mullioned and transomed surrounds. Between the wings a 2-storeyed dressed stone verandah on pillars, each floor with an entablature, first floor with a strapwork parapet. Inset on first floor 2 stone medallions with carved busts. To right of frontage a loggia in similar style to the verandah connected to a single storey, single-bay pavilion, gothick sash window. Entrance elevation with sash windows, some paired. Two entrances, one to each dwelling, both altered mid C20. To rear ground drops away to basement storey, wall with distinct batter, loopholes in dressed stone surrounds; service court with outbuildings to south. Semi-circular archways; one forming an entrance, attached brick-vaulted undercroft. Three storey round tower. West side of service court enclosed by wall with banking to rear which supports an elevated roadway, this covers a brick-vaulted undercroft; undercroft continues to south and east in several parts forming an extensive labyrinth of underground passages and vaults, mostly brick-lined. Interiors of dwellings with some gothick features; room to ground floor of No. 2 with a panelled cornice with egg and dart enrichment, pair of fluted Corinthian columns. Some plaster medallions with carved busts. (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2393135267

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
269282
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05479/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Bass. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].