- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- WYDDIAL HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307579 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 07:53:13.
- Statutory Address:
- WYDDIAL HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 37404 31850
TL 3731 WYDDIAL WYDDIAL
10/151 Wyddial Hall 19.10.51
Country house. Early C16 (probably 1516 for Humphrey Wellisbourne), remodelled after a fire and given present appearance 1733 for Francis Goulston. Altered c.1780 for John Thomas Ellis MP. NW service wing and main staircase 1836-65 for Charles Heaton-Ellis. Stuccoed brick with steep tiled roofs. A tall striking 2-storeys, cellar (and formerly attics) house facing E with central 2-storeys porch, canted 2-storeys bay window at each end of front, balustraded parapet over moulded entablature with triglyph frieze. 3 windows each side of porch. Recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes to lower floor and bays, tall casement windows to 1st floor with segmental heads. Entrance door has radial fanlight in semi circular head with resticated vermiculated surround. S garden front of 6 windows with similar sashes. Curved screenwall at N end. Drapentier engraving c.1700 shows C16 brick house of same bulk with central 2-storeys porch in same position and tall semi-circular bay window lighting hall extending to S of porch. 2 Doric columns now correspond to the hall screens. There was a lateral chimney and the service rooms to N of hall with surviving cellars below. The roof must have been rebuilt before 1700 incorporating attics and dormers. The plan resulting from rebuilding after the fire of 1733 was uncharacteristic of the time due to incorporation of much of the existing structure. The hall was floored over, the bay windows added, the porch refurbished, the main range made double-pile, the SW wing enlarged and the roof rebuilt incorporating older timbers. The present early Victorian stair replaced a C17 or C18 stair at the rear of the N part and the service rooms were moved to the W range. When the present toplit elegent stair was created the NW service wing was added behind it. The interior has a small panelled room on the 1st floor with scratch moulded small panels. The fine hall firesurround is said to come from Cokenach. (RCHM (1911) 245: VCH (1914) 114, 116: Pevsner (1977) 411-12; RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL3740431850
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 114,116
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 411-12
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.