- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- THE BURY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307601 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 13:47:26.
- Statutory Address:
- THE BURY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Hertfordshire (District Authority)
- St. Paul's Walden
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 18760 21689
TL 1821 ST PAUL'S WALDEN ST PAUL'S WALDEN BURY
12/186 The Bury (formerly listed as 9.6.52 St Paul's Walden Bury House)
Country house. Early C18 (Kelly (1914)232 saysc.1740) for Edward Gilbert (1680-1762) who succeeded in 1724 and rebuilt chancel of Parish Church 1727 when he was described as 'of the Bury'. N facade, interior of N hall and polygonal flanking wings dated '1767' on 2 rainwater heads, one on SE with 'MB' for Mary Bowes daughter of Edward Gilbert and widow of George Bowes of Gibside, Durham. (Attributed by Pevsner following Peter Leach, to James Paine the elder (1716-89) who had designed the mausoleum for George Bowes in 1760-61 and was engaged on Brocket Hall, Herts c.1760-70). Large S range 1887 by Castings for Lord Glamis replacing 2-storeys service wing. W drawing room 1938 by Louis de Soissons. Red brick with stone dressings and slate roofs. C19 parts have red brick with black brick diaper and steep slate roofs. Original 3-storeys, 5 windows wide square house faces N with pitched roof expressed as front pediment. Contemporary extensive formal woodland garden extends to N with 3 main alleys radiating from entrance to house in French manner. Front refaced when symmetrical 2-storeys polygonal wings added to E and W projecting to N, in 1767. Entrance now with E side of irregular 2-storeys C19 range running southward with 3-storeys S crosswing terminated at E by a'4-storeys tower. N front of tuck-pointed red brick with chamfered stone plinth, painted stone plat-band at 1st floor level across wings and centre, second floor band across centre at level of painted modillioned eaves cornice of wings. Painted cornice and pediment to centre. Recessed sash windows with flat gauged arches, stone sills and plastered reveals. 2nd floor of 3/3 panes, first floor windows in centre cut down in early C19 to give 9/9 panes, ground floor there of 6/6 panes with central half-glazed door in triangular pedimented Ionic doorcase. Flanking wings have 3/3 panes similar sash windows to 1st floor and 6/6 to ground floor. The canted projection with reserved sides on the N side of both and on the E side of the left hand wing have a central round arched recess with moulded round arched head to sash window with impost blocks and sill extended across the recess and baluster below the opening. Early C18 flush box sash windows with segmental arches survive on W side of main block beyond the projecting wing. E front has pedimented entrance porch on Tuscan decorated columns and Bowes-Lyon arms in pediment. Projecting gabled part to right hand with oriel lower window in centre. Half-octagonal bay to left hand. Mullioned and transomed leaded windows with flat gauged arches. Parapeted tower has 2-storeys balustraded oriel. High garden wall with rusticated piers runs S and then W with Tudor-arched gateway. Interior of N range has segmental decorated plaster vaulted hall occupying the whole of the centre, with apses each end screened by columns in Adamesque manner, with Music Room at W with moulded dado, cornice, damask hung walls, semi-circular bay to N, and fire surround carved with flutes. More elaborate Drawing Room in NE pavillion has semi-circular bays to N, S and E, elaborate plasterwork, and chimneypiece following the concave curve of the S bay with tapering pilasters. Ceilings similar to Paine's work at Brocket Hall. (VCH (1908)406: Pevsner (1977)330: Morris (1980)54).
Listing NGR: TL1876021689
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1908), 406
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 330
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing