- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- ASTON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307603.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Oct-2021 at 13:32:02.
- Statutory Address:
- ASTON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- Oswestry Rural
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 32530 27253
SJ 32 NW OSWESTRY RURAL C.P. ASTON PARK
6/168 Aston Hall
Country house, latterly hospital then school, now reverted to domestic use. 1789-93 with later additions (now demolished) and extensive late C20 alterations. By Robert Mylne for Revd. J. R. Lloyd, reputedly to drawings by James Wyatt. Sandstone ashlar, low-pitched slate hipped roof almost concealed by eaves parapet with stone stacks in roof slope to left and right. Greek Revival style displaying French influence; present L-plan formed by demolition of rear portion of C18 house and of late C19 yellow brick service ranges to north and east. 2 storeys, moulded eaves cornice and cill band; west front: 3:1:3 bays, centre flanked by attached fluted giant Ionic columns and pilasters; corner pilasters with oval swagged medallions and round-headed niches on ground floor; glazing bar sashes throughout, those on ground floor mainly late C20 replacements; central entrance, which formerly had late C19 Doric porch (demolished c.1980), now has late C20 glazed doors with plain segmental tympanum; south front: of 3 bays, each bay divided by pilasters with decoration identical to that on corner pilasters of west front; tripartite glazing bar sashes to ground floor with plain segmental tympana; north front: of 2 bays is entirely a late C20 reconstruction, render over brick scored in imitation of ashlar with tripartite sash windows to ground floor; back wall: formerly an internal wall also has late C20 glazing bar sashes inserted and a C19 Doric porch brought from Kilhendre Hall, Dudleston (now demolished). Interior: considerably altered late C20 but retains a large number of original features, the most notable of which is the main staircase starting in one flight and returning in two with fine cast-iron balustrade and galleried landing but with cupola and octagonal lantern removed; opening off the entrance hall, which has a late C20 round-arched fibreglass colonnade in front of staircase, are two 3-bay rooms with restrained Grecian stucco friezes and original and early C19 carved marble fireplaces; upstairs the fireplaces are mainly C19 or later but many are said to retain their original cast-iron grates, panelled doors throughout. The house is set in a fine park with a large lake immediately to west. B.O.E., pp. 64-5; Colvin 949.
Listing NGR: SJ3253027253
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 949
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 64-5
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing