KING'S GATCHELL AND WALLS ENCLOSING FORECOURT CONTINUED AS NORTH RETAINING WALL TO GARDEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307609
Date first listed:
17-May-1985
Statutory Address:
KING'S GATCHELL AND WALLS ENCLOSING FORECOURT CONTINUED AS NORTH RETAINING WALL TO GARDEN, CHURCH ROAD
Statutory Address:
KING'S GATCHELL AND WALLS ENCLOSING FORECOURT CONTINUED AS NORTH RETAINING WALL TO GARDEN, HONITON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of KING'S GATCHELL AND WALLS ENCLOSING FORECOURT CONTINUED AS NORTH RETAINING WALL TO GARDEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307609 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 12:13:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
KING'S GATCHELL AND WALLS ENCLOSING FORECOURT CONTINUED AS NORTH RETAINING WALL TO GARDEN, CHURCH ROAD
Statutory Address:
KING'S GATCHELL AND WALLS ENCLOSING FORECOURT CONTINUED AS NORTH RETAINING WALL TO GARDEN, HONITON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Taunton Deane (District Authority)
Parish:
Trull
National Grid Reference:
ST 21376 22241

Details

ST22SW TRULL CP HONITON ROAD (East side)

9/181 King's Gatchell and walls enclosing forecourt continued as North retaining wall to garden

II

House. Late C16-early C17, enlarged C18, East front refenestrated, turret and porch added on West front circa 1870. Rendered over random rubble on main elevations, Bath stone dressings, plain tiled roof, pyramid slate roofed turret, coped verges gable ends, brick stacks, L-plan, originally probably S cell and cross passage block lying roughly North South, C18 wing attached at South West corner, turret and porch set in angle on entrance front. Entrance front: 2 storeys, 2:1:3 bays; 12-pane sash windows in moulded surrounds set in angle pyramid roofed 2 storey canted bag with 3-light mullioned casements, flat roofed single storey 3 sided projection left with 3-light mullioned window, right similar one bay addition containing porch, entrance pointed arch doorway, C19 plank door with decorative fringes, square hood mould with carved foliage terminals; 4 bay single storey slate roofed verandah carried on wooden piers North West front, set on axis with entrance. Garden front: long 4 bay arcade, C19 nullioned windows with full height canted bay. Interior not viewed; said to contain evidence of jointed cruck roof and early C17 plasterwork decoration on first floor. Forecourt wall: probably C18, subsequently altered. Red brick, Flemish bond, rubble plinth, sandstone coping, about 3 metres high abutting North gable end and continued East as retaining wall to garden. Late C19 dwarf wall enclosing forecourt on West front. At one time this is thought to have been a coaching inn and a cobbled pavement is said to survive below the forecourt. Prior to 1880 the property was known as Southwick House. (C. Hallam, the History of Trull, 1952; VA6 Report, unpublished SRO, October 1972).

Listing NGR: ST2137622241

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
270720
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hallam, C , The History of Trull, (1953)
'Vernacular Architecture Group Report' in October, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15106/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].