Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307631.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2020 at 18:04:05.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Bromyard and Winslow
National Grid Reference:
SO 65256 54675



815/1/218 OLD ROAD 12-JUL-73 BROMYARD 29 (Formerly listed as: OLD ROAD BROMYARD 15)

II A C17 dwelling with later extension to the rear.

MATERIALS: Small timber-framing with brick infill. It has a clay-tiled roof and brick chimney stack.

PLAN: The main range is orientated roughly south-west to north-east, parallel with Old Road. It has two bays and a perpendicular range to the rear, forming an L-shaped plan.

EXTERIOR: The principal elevation has two bays and two storeys; the upper storey is built into the attic and has two dormers. At ground-floor level there is a solid door to the far right and a glazed door to the left. Both sit within frame members with carved bases. There are two casement windows between the doors with nine and six lights with projecting cills. Below the eaves there are irregularly-positioned braces. The dormers have six-light casement windows. There is a chimney stack at the rear.

The east gable end is painted brick at ground-floor level and has weather boarding at the top. There is a four-light casement in the attic storey. The rear range projects from the western bay; it has a pitched roof with dormers.

INTERIOR: Not inspected

HISTORY: Bromyard is a small market town that was first recorded in circa 840. No. 29 Old Road is situated on one of the principal thoroughfares in the town, which runs east from the vicarage and church. It is a continuation of Cruxwell Street, which was known as Corkeswalle Vicus in the late C13 and recorded as Croxewalle Streate in 1575. It becomes Old Road at the junction with the High Street and was known as Sheep Street in the early C20. This central area of the town to the west and south of the church appears to have been fully built up by the early C17, though some of the plots have been re-developed since that time. The main range of No. 29 Old Road dates from the C17 and was subsequently extended to the rear.

SOURCES: Dalwood H and Bryant V, An Archaeological Assessment of Bromyard - The Central Marches Historic Towns Survey 1992-6 (2005) - http://ads.ahds.ac. uk/catalogue/projArch/EUS/marches_eus_2005/downloads.cfm?county=herefordshire&area=bromyard&CFID=1543698&CFTOKEN=53188440 - Accessed on 18 August 2010

REASON FOR DESIGNATION: No. 29 Old Road, a C17 timber framed dwelling is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural: an attractive arrangement on the principal facade, with exposed, well-executed timber framing * Intactness: the exterior is largely unaltered and it retains the greater proportion of its pre-1700 structural fabric * Historic: a good example of the local vernacular architecture


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09849/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].