CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1307683
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307683 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 08:23:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Kingweston
National Grid Reference:
ST 52517 31324

Details

ST53SW KINGWESTON CP -

2/102 Church of All Saints

17.4.59

GV II*

Parish Church. Some medieval fragments, but largely rebuilt by C.E. Giles of Taunton, 1852-55. Local lias stone ashlar, with Doulting stone dressings; stone slate roofs with ornamented stone ridges between coped gables with elaborate cross finials. In a C13 style. 2-cell plan having 2-bay chancel and 3-bay nave, with south tower with spire over porch, and small north east vestry. Chancel has plinth, eaves course, double corner buttresses; 3 light east window with geometric tracery under pointed arch label with foliated stops; two 2-light matching windows in south wall flanking moulded pointed arched doorway, all with pointed arched labels having foliated stops; on north wall vestry to match, with lean-to roof, circular chimney stack, 2-light east window, and west of Vestry a 2-light window to match south wall. Nave has plinth, corner and bay buttresses; taller 2-light windows with cusped tops and quatrefoil in circle tracery over, pointed arched labels and foliated stops; matching 4-light west window. Tower is single stage with spire; plinth, double corner buttresses for most of tower height, with quasi-broaches to octagonal spire, at the base of wich are 8 two light geometric traceried windows with ball flower ornament to reveals, under quatrefoiled gablets with pinnacles and gargoyles; spire plain with simple apex and weathervane; octagonal stair turret in south west corner; in south face a moulded doorway in C13 style with attached shafts with bell capitals, foliated stops to arched label; plain slit windows on west, south and east faces and clock on south face. Inside porch a C12 semi-circular arched doorway without tympanum, lozenge decoration to inner arch and jambs and chevron to upper outer arch, which has attached shafts and cushion capitals to jambs. Interior totally C19, but of elaborate workmanship. Chancel has arched braced roof with elaborate frets at wall plate level, on very heavily foliated corbel brackets, with angels to east corners; cinquefoil rere-arches to windows and carved angels and foliage to jambs of south east window, above simple sedilia: chancel fittings unremarkable. Nave similar in character but plainer; ashlar finished walls, quasi arch-braced crown post trussed roof; towards west end fine C12 font, plain bowl, moulded turned shaft and base. First recorded rector 1316.

Listing NGR: ST5251731324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
262907
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/07198/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tony Dallimore. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].