CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307719.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 19:11:45.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 23938 22891
SJ 22 SW; 5/70
LLANYBLODWEL C.P., LLANYBLODWEL
Church of St Michael
Parish church. Largely rebuilt by Revd. John Parker in 1847-53 with steeple of 1855-6, incorporating substantial parts of medieval church, dating principally from C12 and C15. Uncoursed limestone rubble with rough-hewn angle quoins to C15 east end; roughly coursed and dressed limestone and gritstone rubble with ashlar dressings to nave and chancel (south side); largely rendered on north side; limestone rubble, sandstone ashlar and yellow brick to steeple. Slate roofs with coped verges (stepped at west end) on carved stone kneelers; floriated crosses to gables. Nave and chancel in one; north aisle; north and south porches; detached steeple linked to main body of church by vestibule (dated 1855 and 1856). C19 work in idiosyncratic Gothic style. Steeple. Octagonal with swelling outline to second and third stages; lancets to all faces with hoodmoulds and floriated label-stops stone spire with steep- pitched lucarnes and floriated cross to top. Nave. Three 2-light Decorated- style windows on south have mouchettes to heads, hoodmoulds and floriated label-stops, space beneath each label-stop inscribed with religious symbols or monograms except for east window which has inscription "A.D. 1847" beneath. Rubble voussoirs above hoodmoulds. Two gabled eaves dormers with 2-light Decorated-style tracery and ball-flower decoration to chamfered corners. Three stepped buttresses with yellow brick facing. Gabled porch in west bay has inscription "A.D. 1849" beneath head stops of pointed outer arch with intertwining leaf decoration to capitals. Recessed shouldered arch with pierced trefoils to spandrels. Lean-to to west with narrow rectangular chamfered opening to front. Painted cast-iron gates to porch have lierne vaulting pattern. Wooden vaulted roof, supported on ringed stone shafts, has carved painted bosses, ribs and flying ribs. Bench with cusped edge on east side; stone staircase to west. Remains of C14 grave slab with Lom- bardic script to top right corner and carving of hare to bottom left fixed to east wall. Tall round-headed C12 south doorway evidently repositioned by Parker has plank door with incised carving to decorated strap hinges, lower with fleur-de-lys pointing. Inscription on door "RBED / WA RD / EX (?) S / 1713." Exterior west wall of porch has reused inverted datestone inscribed "R (?) K M I (?)T (?)B/ WARDENS / 1717." West wall of nave has two lancets with curious cusping and rose window above. East wall has 3- light C15 window with trefoil heads and panel tracery. Date "1858" in raised lettering on rainwater head at junction with north aisle. This has similar east window to east wall of nave except with cinquefoil heads. Three gabled eaves dormers on north side have rose windows and floriated finials, that to right with C20 centre-hung casement inserted into lancet. Lean- to porch below centre dormer has pointed cusped doorway on east side with hoodmould and floriated label-stops, spaces beneath inscribed "IP / 1851". Doorway beneath in north wall has cambered arch and nail-studded plank door with pointed strap hinges; superscription "EM / IR / 1753". Two-light C15 window with cambered head to east of porch. C19 two-light Perpendicular- style window below right dormer. Ridge stack to right of centre with twin shafts and dentilled capping. West wall has two cusped lancets and one above to centre with blind pointed arch. Thin gabled turret-like buttress to north-west corner. Vestibule linking steeple to church has inscription "FROM LIGHTNING AND TEMPEST / FROM EARTHQUAKE AND FIRE / GOOD LORD DELIVER US" over cambered arch.
INTERIOR. Largely embellished and reworked by Parker but retains early C15 three-bay north arcade with short octagonal columns and double-chamfered pointed arches. C19 arch-braced roof to nave in seven bays with carved pendant bosses and gilded bosses at intersection of panels; hammer beams over rood screen. Similar but slightly less elaborate roof in four bays to north aisle. Panelled Gothic screen at west end supported on four clustered columns with foliage carving to capitals at east end and similar columns alternating with demi-columns (some with stiff-leaf foliage to capitals) at west-end. Pointed doorway in north wall leads to upper room (former school-room), latterly used as vestry and library. Restored C15 rood screen has vine-trail decoration and carvings of animals (including hare) to cornice. Nine lights below (including centre opening) have variety of Gothic tracery patterns; brattishing above cornice largely original but crocketed finials added by Parker. Screen continues across north aisle: also nine one-bay divisions with Gothic tracery patterns, crenellated cornice and attached carving. Organ gallery in north aisle with blind Gothic tracery pattern supported on two cast-iron columns (painted to resemble wood), erected in 1835. Contemporary staircase to gallery has turned balusters. A notable feature of the church is the painted mural decoration, commissioned by Parker and restored in 1960: foliage decoration to columns, responds, window splays and heads. Texts to walls and to arches of north arcade. Octagonal font with painted carved decoration said to be c.1660 but may be a medieval font recut; rests on possibly C12 scalloped base. Reredos and altar with blind Gothic tracery patterns by Parker; communion rails also by him but incorporating medieval tracery patterns, probably taken from screen. Repositioned mid- C19 benches in nave and north aisle. Late C18 or C19 'porter's' chair in sanctuary donated to church in 1971. Stained glass: east window of north aisle in memory of Lt. John Donne (died 1851). East window commemorates Revd. James Donne (died 1844) and his second wife, Alice (died 1841). Chancel south window to Elias Owen (vicar, 1892-8). MONUMENTS. Massive wall memorial to Sir John Bridgeman (died 1747), erected 1752 by his daughter, Judeth; eulogistic inscription with large volutes to left and right, a Rococo cartouche below and a decorated urn flanked by volutes at the top: north aisle, north side, by J.M. Rysbrack. Wall memorial to Sir John's wife, Ursula (died 1719) with seated putto to top: north aisle, east wall, by Thomas White of Worcester. Roger Mathews (died 1673), similar monument to Lady Ursula Bridgeman's, erected c.1736: sanctuary, north of east window, also by White. To Rees Tanat, (died 1661) small wall memorial with grotesque head to bottom: south of east window. Cartouches flanking east arch of north arcade, left to John Bridgeman (died 1796), right to George Bridgeman (died 1717). South wall of chancel has memorial to Susanna Godolphin and to other members of the Tanat family (no date). Immediately to right is small cartouche to Owen Tanat (died 1668). Hatchment to Godolphin family, north wall of nave. Former school-room has tablet inscribed "This / School- house / was erected A.D. / 1719" to west wall. C20 lean-to toilet to west of north porch is not of special architectural interest. B.o.E. pp. 170- 1; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908) pp. 798-800.
Listing NGR: SJ2394222893
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cranage, DHS , An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, (1908), 798-800
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 170-171
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing