LOWER TREFNANT FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307720

Date first listed: 18-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: LOWER TREFNANT FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWER TREFNANT FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307720 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 20:39:51.

Location

Statutory Address: LOWER TREFNANT FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Westbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 31063 10453

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 31 SW WOLLASTON C.P. -

4/144 Lower Trefnant Farmhouse -

- II

Farmhouse. Probably late C16 or early C17 with later C17 and C18 alterations; remodelled in the early C19. Red brick incorporating timber framed core; slate roof. T-plan; projecting gabled cross- wing to south and later infill to north-east. 2 storeys and attic over basement. Dentil brick eaves cornice. Large former external brick lateral stack to east and external brick lateral stack to cross- wing at south. West front: 1:1 windows; 3-light segmental-headed wooden casements; 2-light wooden attic casement in cross-wing; C20 two-light wooden casement replacing door in return of cross-wing; C19 lean-to outbuilding and porch to left with glazed door and boarded door to left. East front: 2:3 windows; early to mid-C19 wooden cross- windows to left; lean-to infill addition in angle to right with 2 first- floor casements flanking central blind window, 2 ground-floor segmental- headed blind windows to right and half-glazed door to left with C20 gabled brick porch. Interior: square-panelled timber framed cross- wall in kitchen; timber framed wall to former cross-passage with closely-spaced uprights and chamfered ogee-headed doorway; C17 corner fireplaces; fine early C18 dog-leg staircase with landing, closed string, turned balusters, moulded ramped handrail, square corner newel post and top and bottom newels consisting of clusters of 4 balusters; probably early C19 corner cupboard on ground floor with arched head and probably early C19 arch at top of stairs; first-floor C18 doors with 2 raised and fielded panels and L-hinges; C17 roof with collar and tie- beam trusses and single and pairs of purlins. The house was known as the New House in the C17 and was first so named in 1597. A number of C17 alterations are recorded but it is known that the house was extensively repaired shortly before 1817 and much of the external walling probably dates from around this time. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.195.

Listing NGR: SJ3106310453

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 259051

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 195

End of official listing