T SHAPED OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES EAST OF SWISS COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1307767

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: T SHAPED OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES EAST OF SWISS COTTAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of T SHAPED OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES EAST OF SWISS COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307767 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 01:23:06.

Location

Statutory Address: T SHAPED OUTBUILDING APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES EAST OF SWISS COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Shropshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Welshampton and Lyneal

National Grid Reference: SJ4110434934

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 4034/4134 18/145

ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. OTELEY T-shaped outbuilding approx. 10m east of Swiss Cottage GV II

Outbuilding. Circa 1826 to 1842 for Charles Kynaston Mainwaring with later additions and alterations. Red brick; rusticated sandstone ashlar to tower and rear; lean-to slate roofs with fishscale bands to pyramidal roof of tower. T-plan. Single storey with corbelled eaves cornice to tower. Left range has segmental-headed cast-iron window to front and similar narrower window to projecting range with triangular pointed window to right return. Right range has late C19 casement to left, C20 casement to centre and boarded door to right; stone stack in roof slope to centre. Tower, projecting to rear, has doorway with shouldered lintel and latticed oriel above with shouldered lintel. Triangular pointed doorway to right on first floor. Gabled lucarnes and pointed finial to pyramidal roof. Charles Kynaston Mainwaring was a keen amateur gardener and he travelled extensively on the continent. It is believed that he was personally responsible for much of the design of the garden at Oteley and for the features therein. His house, Oteley Park, built for him in an Elizabethan style on the site of an earlier building between 1826 and 1830 and extended in 1842 was demolished c.1960. B.O.E. p. 226; Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II (1980),pp. 106-7;Francis Leach, The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891), pp. 19-23; Mrs. Frances Stackhouse Acton, Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868), p. 58.

Listing NGR: SJ4110434934

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 260845

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Leach, F, The County Seats of Shropshire, (1891), 19-23
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 226
Stackhouse Acton, F, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire, (1868), 58
Reid, P, 'Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses' in Herefordshire Shropshire Warwickshire Worcestershire, , Vol. 2, (1980), 106-7

End of official listing