Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1307772

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: OLD HOUSE, 6, WIDFORD ROAD


Ordnance survey map of OLD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307772 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 01:32:52.


Statutory Address: OLD HOUSE, 6, WIDFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Hunsdon

National Grid Reference: TL 41814 14435


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 4114 7/1

HUNSDON WIDFORD ROAD (east side) No 6 (Old House)

(Formerly listed as Ye Olde House)


II* House. Late medieval (RCHM Typescript), T-plan hall house, with 2 storeys cross wing on right: large central chimney, stair tower and floor inserted in hall in 1681 (date on parlour fireplace lintel): single storey modern additions at rear and each end. Timber-framed and plastered with frame exposed on front (W). Gabled steep old red tile roofs with gabled dormer to hall range on front and back.' Large ornamental chimney at junction of wings made up of conjoined lozenge shaped shafts. Tiled gabled porch. Higher red brick plinth to hall range which has close studding and flush box sash window cut down into the brickwork. The wide gable of the cross wing has close studding with straight tension bracing, remains of a wide first floor window (now altered for a sash window), a collar for the purlin roof, and 2 sash windows to Ground floor above the lower plinth. A large C18 plaster cartouche in the gable has a fountain with an armorial badge at the top. Lobby entrance beside chimney. 2-bay hall on left and 3-bay cross wing on right. Rear bay of wing partitioned on each floor, with a cellar below. Exposed timbers inside with axial chamfered and stopped beams and squared joists. C18 pine corner cupboard in hall with arched top, shaped shelves and raised and fielded panels to doors under. Heavy cambered tie beams in cross wing with close studding in closed truss on 1st floor. Separate pitched roof to stair tower in angle.

Formerly 'Tippings', it became the Wheatsheaf in the later C17 and was then owned by the prominent Quaker family of Wharley. A striking late medieval hall house with a large cross wing and C17 central chimney.

(RCHM (1911) 128: RCHM Typescript: HLHS (1979) 24, 34).

Listing NGR: TL4181414435


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 160004

Legacy System: LBS


Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

End of official listing