BLACK GATE RESTAURANT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1307812
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
15-May-1986
Statutory Address:
BLACK GATE RESTAURANT, SALOP ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLACK GATE RESTAURANT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1307812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 03:33:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
BLACK GATE RESTAURANT, SALOP ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Oswestry
National Grid Reference:
SJ 29185 29560

Details

SJ 2929 NW OSWESTRY C.P. SALOP ROAD (west side)

14/100 Black Gate Restaurant 10.9.51 (formerly listed as Black Gate Tea Rooms)

GV II

House, now restaurant. Circa 1600 with later additions and alterations, restored late C20. Timber framed with plaster infill, slate roof. Lobby-entry plan with gabled porch added c. 1620 (formerly with painted date 1621); single-storey timber framed lean-to addition to rear on left incorporated in right of 3 later brick gables to rear. 2 storeys; framing: irregular square panels with later light vertical posts inserted, long straight tension braces, left gable end clad in late C19 red brick; porch has close-set vertical posts with middle rail, moulded bressumers to left and right and formerly to front, C19 fretted bargeboards and C20 finial to gable; fenestration all late C20, three- light casements to left and right of porch on both floors with Venetian window, replacing one of early C19, to first floor of porch; position of original windows also visible, infilled 2-light mullion window to either side of right ground-floor casement blocked 2-light mullion windows to left and right sides of porch on first floor and 3-light window to ground floor with roundel inserted in blocking; reddish brown brick axial ridge stack to centre; entrance through porch, round- headed outer arch with wooden benches to sides, 6-panel inner door. Interior: timber frame exposed throughout, square panels, some with wattle and daub infill displayed, and long straight tension braces; original back wall with mortice holes for close-set vertical posts, now removed; chamfered spine beam with ogee stops and heavy joists to left ground-floor room; infilled inglenook fireplace with cast-iron cooking range, early C19 staircase with turned balusters; slightly cambered tie beams exposed to gable ends but rest of roof trusses concealed at time of re-survey (August 1985). C20 gabled and flat- roofed additions to rear are not of special architectural interest.

Listing NGR: SJ2918229563

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
255574
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/11435/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].