WALKERN MILL, AND NUMBER 161 (MILLERS COTTAGE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1308132
Date first listed:
08-Aug-1979
Date of most recent amendment:
31-May-1984
Statutory Address:
WALKERN MILL, AND NUMBER 161 (MILLERS COTTAGE), HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALKERN MILL, AND NUMBER 161 (MILLERS COTTAGE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 14:07:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALKERN MILL, AND NUMBER 161 (MILLERS COTTAGE), HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hertfordshire
District:
East Hertfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Walkern
National Grid Reference:
TL 28593 25430

Details

TL 2825 WALKERN HIGH STREET (east side)

8/2 Walkern Mill, and No 161 (Millers Cottage) (formerly listed as 8.8.79 The Mill and Mill House)

GV II

Water mill on River Beane, and house adjoining, now residential. Mill rebuilt 1826, altered 1836 and 1856, converted to steam 1881, ceased working 1933, converted 1980-81. House early Cl7, cased in brick in mid C19, extended into ground floor of mill and porch added 1980-81. Red brick mill with gambrel roof. Welch slate upper slope, green Westmorland slate lower slope decorated with large and small lozenge motifs. A tall L-shaped block of 3 storeys and attics, with main range E-W and wing projecting to S. Broad pilasters at each bay narrowed above 2nd floor. Cast iron tie-plates. S gable has decorative cast iron windows under pointed arches, 2 to each floor and one to the attic. Segmental arches to wider windows elsewhere. Gabled lucam on N and S of main range, with glazed doors. Lettering painted on S gable 'G D PEARMAN/(WALKERN - defaced to confuse invaders 1939-45)/FLOUR MILLS/1881'(with '1828', 1836, and '1856' in smaller figures). Mill structure of timber beams and floors on cast iron columns largely replaced by reinforced concrete, but some columns re- used. Tall queen-post timber trusses remain in attic floor. Timber framed house adjoining mill on W, with red brick casing, buff segmental window arches, and steep old red tile roof. C20 extensions to NW not of special interest. 2-storeys, 3-bay structure, facing S, with W bay partitioned from 2-bay hall now abutting the mill on E. Symmetrical 3 windows front with parapeted gabled brick porch to central door. Recessed wooden casement windows. A central chimney at the W end of the hall serves the W end room, and a stair rises behind it. Later small chimney to E end of hall. Exposed timbers inside, with jowled posts, close studding with numbered joints, butt-purlin roof with tennoned rafters and wind braces. Rear slope raised with props from old structure. Face-halved bladed scarf in front wallplate. (Kelly (1914) 254: Branch Johnson (1970) 178: Pevsner (1977) 373).

Listing NGR: TL2859325430

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
159686
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Branch Johnson, W , The Industrial Archaeology of Hertfordshire, (1970), 178
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 373
'Kellys Directory' in Hertfordshire, (1914), 254

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09736/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Warwick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].