This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 1-12, WALCOT HALL FLATS, NUMBERS 1-3, CLOCK TOWER HOUSE, ADJOINING STABLE BLOCK TO NORTH-WEST AND COURTYARD WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH-EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1-12, WALCOT HALL FLATS, NUMBERS 1-3, CLOCK TOWER HOUSE, ADJOINING STABLE BLOCK TO NORTH-WEST AND COURTYARD WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH-EAST

List entry Number: 1308143

Location

NUMBERS 1-12, WALCOT HALL FLATS, NUMBERS 1-3, CLOCK TOWER HOUSE, ADJOINING STABLE BLOCK TO NORTH-WEST AND COURTYARD WALL ADJOINING TO SOUTH-EAST, WALCOT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lydbury North

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 257048

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 38 NW and SO 38 SW; 5/134 and 9/134

LYDBURY NORTH C.P., WALCOT, Nos. 1-12, Walcot Hall Flats, Nos. 1-3, Clock Tower House, adjoining stable block to north-west and courtyard wall adjoining to south-east

(formerly listed as Stables at Walcot)

1/12/51

GV

II

Stables and adjoining walls, now partly converted to flats. After 1763, probably by Sir William Chambers, with some early C19 alterations. Red brick with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs. Two ranges, to north- east and south-west, returning to enclose courtyard to north-west and enclosing wall to south-east. North-east range; north-east front: 3:3:3 bay rhythm with large central 2-storey tower and lower set-back wings. Centre-pivoted casements with gauged heads and stone cills. Tower with plinth, parapet heightened probably in the early C19 with moulded stone cornice and blocking course, external end stacks, and lead-sheathed base to central cupola (removed at time of resurvey, July 1984). Two first-floor windows flanking slightly higher central blind window with clock above; ground floor blind windows implying Serliana by flanking large central carriageway with gauged brick round-arch and moulded stone impost blocks, continued as cornice through archway. Wings: with plinths, stone eaves bands, and end stack to left; three first-floor windows to right and one to left; ground floor blind arcading with continuous impost bands and gauged brick round-arches; two inserted 3- panelled doors in second bay from right. South-west front: 3:3:3 bay rhythm; central tower with carriage arch, stone eaves band, and glazing bar sashes; wings with first floor centre-pivoted casements, and ground floor top-opening small-paned casements. Probably early C19 one storey block curving round to left with 3 windows and central octagonal cupola with ogee lead cap. South-west range: L-plan. North-east front: 2 storeys. 6:4:6 bay rhythm. Ashlar plinth, stone eaves band, 2 ridge stacks off-centre to left and right, and stack behind ridge to right; triangular pedimented gable over 4 projecting centre bays with stone band at eaves level, moulded stone verge, and clock in tympanum; central circular wooden cupola with square base, 4 Doric columns supporting entablature, and lead dome with globe finial and weathervane; glazing bar sashes with gauged heads and stone cills; 4 central double boarded doors with segmental gauged-brick heads and stone impost bands, and double 3-panelled doors in fourth bays from left and right. Right-hand return front with 2 ridge stacks; 4 bays with double 3-panelled doors to left. Short brick wall attached to right with stone coping. Wall enclosing south-east side of courtyard of red brick with stone coping, approximately 25 metres long. Interior of curved stable block to north retains stalls for horses. The wooden cupola over the north-east block is circular with 6 columns supporting frieze and cornice, and lead dome with globe finial and weathervane; it was removed for safety reasons and remains on the ground in the vicinity of the stable courtyard. Country Life, Vol. LXXXVII, October 14th 1939, pp.388-92, and Vol. CL, November 1971, pp.1366-8; N. Pevsner, B.O.E. Shropshire, p.307.

Listing NGR: SO3477784999

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 307
'Country Life' in 14 October, , Vol. 87, (1939), 388-92
'Country Life' in November, , Vol. 150, (1971), 1366-8

National Grid Reference: SO3477784999

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308143 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 01:04:00.

End of official listing