This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CONDUIT HEAD AT PRIORY FARM 450 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF THE PRIORY AT NGR TL 2222 2827

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CONDUIT HEAD AT PRIORY FARM 450 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF THE PRIORY AT NGR TL 2222 2827

List entry Number: 1308155

Location

CONDUIT HEAD AT PRIORY FARM 450 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF THE PRIORY AT NGR TL 2222 2827, PRIORY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wymondley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 162767

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WYMONDLEY PRIORY LANE TL 22 NW (East side) Little Wymondley

4/155 Conduit Head at Priory Farm II 450M to NE of The Priory at NGR.TL 2222 2827

Conduit head. Medieval origin as water supply for Wymondley Priory, reconstructed C16 or early C17 by Nedham family after the Dissolution, rebuilt incorporating old work c.1902 by East Herts Archaeological Society. Flint rubble with uncoursed flint and pebble facing. C16 thin red brick in English-bond with wide joints up to springing of entrance arch on E end, moulded stone doorway, upper parts of walls in C19 plum red brick in English-bond. Unroofed. Tile floor recorded by VCH (1912, 189). A small rectangular building in a grove of ash trees. Plan in VCH shows a shallow basin inside with rounded end to E. Facing E there is a central clunch doorway, 3-centred arch in 2 orders, imposts, and stone jambs. Corbelled brick course projects over to protect head. Interior has low side walls and remains of W gable. Entrance has segmental rear arch and splayed jambs, and a round headed niche to each side. Remains of central W window with flanking niches, and triple recesses to each side-wall. The flow of water is said to have been formerly used to turn a spit in the farmhouse kitchen. The stone doorway is original but VCH suggests that the form of the rebuilding of c.1902 was based on another building elsewhere. Scheduled Ancient Monument, Herts No. 61c, described as 'well'. (RCHM (1911)149: VCH (1912)189).

Listing NGR: TL2222028270

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 189
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 22220 28270

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308155 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 09:41:22.

End of official listing