- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- FORD HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308164 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 02:53:18.
- Statutory Address:
- FORD HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Shropshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SJ 41272 13886
SJ 4013-4113 FORD C.P. FORD
13/59 Ford House 29.1.52
House. Circa 1730. Finely-jointed red brick with grey sandstone dressings; 2-span slate roof. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys and attic over basement. Painted moulded stone plinth, painted chamfered quoins, painted wooden modillion eaves cornice, and parapeted gable ends with chamfered stone coping, straight across valley. 3 dormers with 2-light horizontal-sliding sashes and triangular-pedimented gables; pairs of external brick end stacks with moulded stone offsets and dentil brick caps. 5 bays; glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes, moulded stone cills, and gauged brick heads with projecting triple keystones; central pair of half-glazed doors (raised and fielded bottom panels and margin lights above) with panelled reveals and soffit, moulded architrave, and porch with Tuscan columns and half-columns, entablature with moulded cornice, and lead-covered top. Rear (garden front): plinth, quoins, cornice, parapeted gable ends with urns at feet, 3 pedimented dormers; 5 bays; basement windows with chamfered reveals; ground-floor sashes cut down,probably in late C18; central pair of half-glazed doors (raised and fielded lower panels and margin lights), stone doorcase consisting of architrave with chamfered rustication and dropped keystone, and Tuscan pilasters supporting entablature with segmental pediment; 5 red sandstone steps with sides curving out to curtails; 3-bay gable end to south-west; tall stepped plinth. One-storey early C19 former kitchen block adjoining to north-east; hipped roof; L-plan; tall plinth to rear-and dentil brick eaves cornice; 3-light segmental-headed wooden casement to front with segmental-headed 2-panelled door to right; left-hand return front has 2-light segmental-headed wooden casement with dated stone shield above:"RLB / 1839"; short link to house has door with 6 flush panels. Interior: fairly complete early C18 fittings; ground floor has C18 doors with 6 raised and fielded panels, lugged architraves, and panelled reveals; staircase hall on east side of house: moulded cornice and fluted ceiling beams; archway to western part of house has doorcase with fluted pilasters, radial fanlight, and round arch with moulded architrave and keystone; 2-flight dog-leg staircase with half-landing, open string with cut brackets, 3 balusters per tread (one twisted, one turned and one fluted), turned and fluted newel posts, and moulded ramped handrail, wreathed to columnar newel post at foot; landing balustrade on 2 sides; ground-floor south-east room: early C19 remodelling with dado rail, plaster cornice and soffit; ground-floor north-east room has tall C18 raised and fielded panelling with dado rail, and moulded dentil cornice; plain architraves; C19 fireplace; first-floor archway has doorcase with fluted piers and moulded round arch with keystone; bedrooms: one with raised and fielded panelling, dado rail and moulded cornice; fireplace with lugged architrave, frieze with keystone and cornice; one with C17 and C19 panelling, 2 doors with 3 raised and fielded panels and L-hinges, lugged architraves with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Ford House was the home of the Ambler family until 1793. Ford House is a well-preserved example of a small early C18 house and is the centre of a group including a terrace(qv) to the east and stables (qv) and barn (qv) to the north. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, pp.225-6; B.O.E., p.131; H. E. Forrest, FLS, Some old Shropshire Muses and their owners(1924), pp.54-8.
Listing NGR: SJ4127213886
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 54-8
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 225-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 131
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.