This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1308170

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stringston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 16-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265254

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST14SE STRINGSTON CP LILSTOCK

6/204 Church of St. Andrew (previously listed as Remains of St Andrew's Church (now used as a Mortuary Chapel)

22.5.69

II

Church, now redundant. C14 chancel arch alone remains of earlier Church demolished 1881 when present structure erected. Blue lias and pebble random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, decorative bargeboards gable Ends, Single cell on site of chancel of earlier Church, porch West end, bell-cote set on gable end above. Porch: lean-to hipped roof, quoins, shouldered entrance, arched doorway with hoodnould, double doors, decorative hinges Tiled bell-cote, steeply pitched pyramid roof, pierced wooden opening, slate-hung base, no bell, Arched 2-light window at East end, completely obscured externally by ivy. Wrought iron crosses East gable end and on bell-cote, Interior: C14 chancel arch on innerface of entrance wall, otherwise the only features of interest are 2 memorial slabs set in the North wall to Joanne Popham, died 1714, lime- washed blue lias, and to John Buller, died 1765, slate; both distinguished by good lettering and a robustly naive use of classical motifs. The Victorian floor tiles have mostly been removed, many slates are missing and the East end is overgrown with ivy at time of survey, (August 1983). The Church was declared redundant 1980, and the Norman front removed to Stogursey Church in 1981. (Kellys Directory, 1902; VCH Somerset, Vol.5 forthcoming; photographs in NMR).

Listing NGR: ST1670244888

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1985)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1902)

National Grid Reference: ST 16702 44888

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308170 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 10:03:37.

End of official listing