- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- ST BOTOLPHS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308251 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 18:07:44.
- Statutory Address:
- ST BOTOLPHS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Hertsmere (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 18325 01859
TL 10 SE SHENLEY SHENLEYBURY
3/290 St. Botolphs 25.2.52 (formerly listed as Church of St. Botolph)
Former Parish Church now house. Circa 1424 following a bequest by Maud, Countess of Salisbury. Chancel demolished, the rest re-roofed and altered 1753. SW tower demolished 1925. Squared knapped flintwork of a high standard with brick and stone dressings. Tiled roofs. Rectangular on plan with 2 span roof. Original nave and S aisle remain; tower, chancel and nave arcade demolished. 4 bays. N and S windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights, double chamfered, with simple rectilinear tracery under 2 centred arched heads. Diamond leaded panes. Hood moulds. Cement rendered surrounds. 2 stage buttresses, between bays and at angles, with raking tiled tops, and brick quoins. Buttresses stop below brick dentilled eaves cornice. Original tower S door in W bay. Plank door with strap hinges. Double hollow chamfered surround with pointed arched head. Smaller door in 2nd bay from E end. Moulded C19 surround with pointed head. Above this door a square stone sun-dial set at an angle dated 1741 and inscribed 'TEMPUS FUGIT'. Entrance in W bay on N wall. Pointed arched head, moulded C19 surround. Large C19 stack to centre on N side ramped up from a broad base at eaves to a narrow shaft, oversailing courses to a gabled cap. Brick parapets to gable ends. W end wall: C19 4 light window with 4 centred head and simple Perpendicular tracery. Brick and flint diamond patterned flushwork in gable with rendered date 1753. Brick kneelers and corbelling to parapet. Braced timber support for bell, now missing. E end wall: similar, C19 4 light window with traces of earlier chancel arch opening. Flushwork, braced timber support. Some stone blocks in gable and as quoins in buttresses. Interior: 1970's living accommodation inserted. C18 double queen post roof. Marble and alabaster monument to Sir Jeremiah Snow, d.1704, on N wall near W end. Base with inscription and projecting arms below gadrooning. Niche above with urn, keyed head and skull finial. C17 floor slabs and indents for brasses. C19 plaster font. Traces of mid C19 and early C20 stained glass in top lights of most windows, largely removed to Church of St. Martin (q.v.) following declaration of redundancy in 1972. (RCHM 1910:VCH 1923:Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL1832501859
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1923)
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.