This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

The Old Rectory

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: The Old Rectory

List entry Number: 1308260

Location

The Old Rectory, Meesden Road, Anstey

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Anstey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 160238

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/03/2018

TL 43 SW; 2/17

ANSTEY, MEESDEN ROAD (South side), The Old Rectory

(Formerly listed as: Anstey House)

22.02.67

GV

II

Rectory, now a private house. Later C17 (possibly for Stone family or Sir Roland Lytton of Knebworth who sold and bought the manor and advowson in 1666 - VCH (1914) 13), renovated in Early C18, SW extension and renovation by Rev Maplecroft rector 1784-1806, E part restored after fire 1959-60. Timber frame roughcast and panelled pargetting. Hipped steep old red tile roofs with bellcast. A 2-storeys, cellar and attics, L-shaped house facing N on a moated site. An irregular 3-cells plan adapted to give a wide through stair hall with cellar below, drawing rooms on W and services and dining room in E part with single-storey E extensions. Internal chimney in E part, and former rear lateral chimney to W part altered to internal stack by SW extension. Irregular N front with 4 upper windows, 3 lower windows and door off-centre to W. Cross windows set flush with rectangular leaded glazing (LH Ground Floor window has "Stally 1767" etched in it), RH 2 windows on each floor flush box sashes with 6/6 panes. Lean-to on E end. C18 6-panel raised and fielded door in moulded architrave, with pedimented wooden doorcase on Ionic pilaster added c.1960 with 2 C18 French ornamental iron lamp brackets. W front has 2 flush box sash windows on each floor with 6/6 panes above and triple sashes below. There is a small round window between the upper windows. Rear has projecting wing on LH with a single storey rectangular bay window c.1960. 3 hipped dormers on roof of main range, 2 upper sash windows with a round window between, and a glazed door in the angle. The interior has a cut string stair with stick balusters, extended to attics when service stair formerly adjoining to E was removed, after fire c.1960. Entrance door has filleted ovolo panel moulding of early C18. 6-panel ovolo moulded doors and stopped architraves. Ovolo moulded panelling in stair enclosure and lobbies on each floor next chimney in W wing (dentilled cornice in upper lobby). NE chamber has cockspur fastener to plate casement in leaded cross-window. 2-panel ovolo moulded door with H-hinges in attic. Butt-purlin, collar-truss roof with squared oak rafters. Associated with James Fleetwood, Chaplain to Charles II (rector after restoration, then Bp of Worcester), and Robert Neville author of the comedy 'The Poor Scholar' made rector 1671 by Sir Roland Lytton. (VCH (1914)11).

Listing NGR: TL4123932992

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914), 11

National Grid Reference: TL 41239 32992

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308260 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:56:46.

End of official listing