Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308362.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 19:55:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 63835 53219


SX 65 SW ERMINGTON ERMINGTON 5/30 29/3/60 Church of St Peter and St Paul


Parish Church. C13, C14 and C15, although some of the fabric of the Norman church may survive. Restored by J D Sedding circa 1889. Stone rubble with freestone dressings and slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one, the chancel C14. The priest's door on the south side has multi-cusped ogee arch. Perpendicular five-light east window. C14 north and south transepts with curvilinear and Perpendicular traceried windows. Long C15 north and south aisles with three-light Perpendicular windows and four-light Perpendicular east window. Late C15 south door with massive moulded granite four-centred arch with carved spandrels and label, inside the rear arch is round. Circa C14 porch in the angle of west end of the south aisle with undressed slate two-centred arch. The walls all round have buttresses with set-offs. Tall west tower, circa C13 with thin corner buttresses, each with one set-off. Small lancet bell-openings, C19 perpendicular west window and embattled parapet on a corbel-table. Circa early C14 stone needle-spire with conspicuous twist. Spire rebuilt in 1850s retaining the original twist. Interior: C15 five-bay north arcade and three-bay south arcade with two further smaller bays to the chancel aisle all with moulded four-centred arches on monolithic granite piers, each with four shafts and with hollows in the diagonals, and with mou.lded capitals and bases. Similar transept arches. Tall undressed slate tower arch C19 unceiled wagon roofs. Multi-cusped and ogee-headed piscinas in south transept and south wall of chancel. Another cusped arch piscina in south transept. Doorways and stairs to rood loft in south aisle. Restored mid C17 wooden rood-screen with C19 columns replacing balusters and an entablature with carved frieze. Screen in the tower arch with twisted balusters. Remainder of furnishings late C19 some by J.D. Sedding, including carved choir stalls, benches, parclose screens, pulpit, lectern, font cover and large reredos in alabaster depicting the Adoration. Monuments: William Strashleigh 1583, and wife, in south chapel - tomb chest with brass effigies. Wall monuments to Adrian Swete 1733 in south aisle, and Margaret Rich 1675 on south side of nave. Niche inside porch contains head of C15 cross. Reference: Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 1903 Vol. 35 page 456. Transactions of Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society 3rd Series Vol. 1 page 56.

Listing NGR: SX6383253218


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society' in Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 1, (), 56
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 35, (1903), 456


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/09371/03
Rights: © Mr Thomas Bowden. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].