Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308415.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 01:16:43.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Boston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 37729 43770



12/79 Church of St. James 26.1.67 G.V. I

Former Benedictine Priory, now Parish Church. Founded from Croyland in 1114, late C12, C13, C14, C15, C16, restoration in 1871 by James Fowler in Norman style. Limestone ashiar, coursed limestone rubble, red brick. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch. Ashlar C15 tower with stepped corner buttresses, bell moulded plinth, battlemented parapet. 3 light belfry openings having hollow chamfered surround. West door continuously moulded above a large 5 light window transomed with panel tracery. Above a canopied niche with statue. On the north side a blank niche. C16 brick north aisle, with moulded ashlar coping and dressings. Stepped buttresses between the 6 three light windows to the north side, and single similar windows to the west end. Alternating panel tracied C15 windows with C16 untransomed windows, and small triangular headed doorway. Gabled north porch in coursed rubble, ashlar and brick, with reset C13 outer doorway having annular reveals and capitals. C14 inner doorway with ogee head, set in taller C12 surround. Retains C14 door with panel traceried woodwork. Tail late C14 clerestory of 8 three light windows, cusped, reticulated tracery. Above a C12 looped corbel table obviously reset, with interposed gargoyles and brick parapet. In the east wall, the clustered shafts of the C12 crossing are visible with scalloped capitals, C19 east window of 5 lights, panel tracery. The south clerestory matches the north. The south aisle is an 1871 rebuilding in ashiar with a pointed window to the east end, a round headed doorway and 5 round headed windows and 3 lancets on the south side. The west window is of 2 lights with curvilinear tracery. Interior. Undivided nave and chancel of 6 Norman bays to the east and 3 early C13 bays to the west. Massive round piers, cruciform scalloped capitals, arches have stops and rolls, with variations. The easternmost arch on the south side has later zigzag. On the hood moulds arebeast head stops. The western arches also have circular pillars, triple responds with stiff leaf, and triple chamfered pointed heads. Tall C15 tower arch, double chamfered with octagonal capitals. Late C12 west crossing arch having roll mouldings and zigzag which is continued on the hood. C15 nave roof with moulded principals supported on carved corbels, retaining demi figures and original bosses. North aisle roof of similar date and pattern. South aisle has C19 roof. The third pier from the east on the north side was remade square to afford access to rood loft. C15 aisle screens, having boldly cusped panel traceried bays. On the north side of the chancel a pillar piscina with scalloped base, circular shaft and octagonal capital. In the south aisle a reset C13 triple shaft base, now a shelf. In the vestry reset C15 panels to wall. At the east end of the south aisle are C12 shafts to the vanished transept. Fittings. Chest dated 1590, iron bound with 3 locks. Fine C15 octagonal font on 3 steps with 2 kneeling stones and splayed base, blank trefoil panels to the sides and stem, with quatrefoils over. Splendid contemporary pierced and pinnacled wooden cover having radiating traceried windows, supporting central lantern over an open vault. Much crocketing.

Listing NGR: TF3773043773


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00517/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]